The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Sorrel's job hunting help thread. :) (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/sorrels-job-hunting-help-thread-239713/)

SorrelHorse 07-24-2013 12:19 AM

Sorrel's job hunting help thread. :)

Hey guys!

So I'm trying really hard to get out from under my boss right now, but right now i'm getting paid relatively well while I look for something else. I found a couple of places I'm thinking about applying, but I need some advice. There's no one I can really ask about these types of things, so I'm gonna have to count on the internet! I wanna use this thread for help big time, since I don't have a clue. I was raised out of town, no experience really, and honestly am just nervous about it all. I have five questions at the moment that I'm hoping you guys can help me out with...Then I wanna keep asking questions as I think of them. I appreciate your guys' support through my hard times right now, and for being so non judgmental of me. :hug:

1) My friend works for a vet office and told me she might be able to get me a job as a kennel tech, but to keep looking in the meantime. I'm just looking at every place and that made me think of our equine hospital. They aren't advertising for hiring, but if I called and asked, or stopped in and just let them know I was looking (I know the vet very well) do they have positions like that? I mean, they have to, right? Someone who takes care of all the cleaning and maintenance so the vets aren't doing it. I guess my main question is, what is that position called? It wouldn't be a kennel tech...There's no kennels. :lol:

2) There is a hunter jumper barn who is one of the few close enough that don't already know who I am. I figured calling them up and asking if they need a stall cleaner, even part time, would be a good idea (No one I know can afford to hire another hand). My problem is, I'm so underconfident these days. I'm nervous to call them up. I guess this isn't really a question, more of a "What if they think I'm an idiot kid looking for a job with pretty ponies?" :oops: Those of you that know me know I'm definitely not but...they don't know that.

3) Okay, so the next one is about a barista position. There's been a couple coffee places who are hiring but I keep hearing about how the other girls there are all bitchy and rude to the new girls which makes me nervous. I would never show how underconfident I am and would give them a run for their money if they acted like that to me, but I don't want to dread going to work. I've known six girls who have worked and all the stories are the same. It's just unnerving me. What would you do?

4) The local Boot Barn might be hiring. I have a friend who works there. I am concerned about just dropping by and asking, in case she's there (I love her but she would shatter my 'professional' image, though I'd be more comfortable applying here) do you think I should just call and ask? Or strategically ask her if she's working then sneak in there when I know she's not? LOL. It'd be great to work with her after I get hired, but before that I wouldn't know how to act around her, and I wouldn't want the people there to think I'm just there to work with my "bestest best friend everrr"

5) Okay! Last one! There's those little hiring centers at walmart, but they're never turned on when I walk by. I keep thinking "I should apply, since it's so close to home.." but I would feel really stupid going up to the machine to find it turned off :oops: or are you supposed to turn the thing on yourself? Or ask someone? I feel like this is a really stupid question lol

Thanks so much in advance, I'm sure I'll think of more...This is my teenage nerves coming out...

SorrelHorse 07-24-2013 12:48 AM

Front Desk Coordinator

I would love love LOVE a position like this...I'm thinking I'm gonna head down there tomorrow.

Roperchick 07-24-2013 01:16 AM

Wwll with my vet its actually the vet techs that I see cleaning stalls and doing maintenance.

But im sure if you went to their reception desk and just explained that youre looking for a job, would love to work at the vets specifically with horses and explain your past experience it would open doors. Vets are like farriers. Everybody talks to them and they really get around. So even if they specifically dont have a job opening, they may know somebody who does.

If you want to call the h/j barn...I mean...what can ithurt. Youre preaching to the choir hear about shyness but the way I see it...if you call them firstand they blow you off...its not like theyve seen your face. All they have is a phone number lol.

And walmart wise...if its off and you dont know whether to turn it on yourself...just go ask a walmart employee for help! They see hundreds of people every day and im sure deal withall kinds of characters. So young girl needing help with a maxhine to get a job= low on their rank of silliness!

JulieG 07-24-2013 02:58 AM

Do you have any sort of resume? Even if it's just listed skills instead of job experience that can help.
Maybe if you put something together you can stop by that hunter/jumper barn and drop it off. I prefer face to face instead of phone calls, at least at places like that. It might be easier to explain your skills if you stop by in person.

kitten_Val 07-24-2013 07:27 AM

SH, I can't really comment on coffee shop positions and environment there, but yes, ABSOLUTELY call the vet and eq hospitals and ask if they have any job openings. The problem with such places they may only advertise it "within" a place, or put a short note in a local newspaper. And yes, they do hire unprofessional people (I mean people with no degree or no certificate) for "dirty" work.

You can also call hair salons/spas in your area to see if they hire anyone (like the one you posted - help desk, or technician helper, etc.). The place I go to for my haircut hired such a person (who basically does lots of little work here and there like cleaning, dealing with orders, etc.).

I've heard (but I never had experience myself) that waitress in a good place can make quite good money on tips. So also something to consider.

And when you go, even if it's a "dirty" job, dress and look professionally. The first impression is always the most important one! :)

Best luck!

jumanji321 07-24-2013 03:58 PM

I am also looking for a job. What I've done is apply to almost every single place advertising positions for hire. I've easily applied to over 20 places and so far have gotten just one interview for tomorrow. Job hunting is tricky, unfortunately.

SorrelHorse 07-24-2013 05:54 PM

Yeah it definitely is a tricky thing...I really wanted a part time position at our humane society, so I could keep working during the week at the two barns I'm training out of for now but I'll do anything at this point. The training from the outside horses is keeping us afloat for now.

I have a resume, two letters of rec, list of references, etc. We did mock job interviews all the time in Future Business Leaders of America, but that's different than actually doing it. lol Once the questions start flowing I'm just fine, it's the dreaded time when I have to ask for an application that makes me sooo nervous.

jumanji321 07-24-2013 06:45 PM

I totally understand how you feel! I'm rather shy, so I become nervous when talking to strangers. However, I immediately lose my nervousness once I actually am talking to them. Hopefully you find a job you are happy at! I'm still incredibly nervous about my interview tomorrow.