The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   New Horse.....Mystery (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/new-horse-mystery-239729/)

cowgirllinda1952 07-24-2013 01:09 AM

New Horse.....Mystery

I haven't been on in a while. I was in the hospital twice, then went to my doctor, who said I need to be a lot more active, so went to my daughters small farm, she had just gotten two horses of her own Vegas, a 15 yr.old flea bitten grey, and Miracle, an 8 year old sorrel QH at the auction for $200, advertised as "safe for anyone". Both were of course very thin, needed feet done, Vegas needs teeth floated. Fast forward to my 2nd day there, we're in a convenience store paying for gas, when the clerk ask if we knew anyone who would give a good, loving home, to a neglected mare in foal, who is very kid gentle. So, we go look, she is, of course, very, very thin, feet need to be done, she is 15.2 hand sorrel QH, no papers, was used as a 12 year old boys roping horse, boy lost interest, mare got bred by AQHA blue roan, and was then abandoned. Mare is about 2 months along. Previous owner gives mare to the man I got her from, he had a lot of people wanting a free horse, but he didn't feel comfortable with any of them, and was thrilled to give her to me. He is coming out this week, to trim all 3 horses feet. I live 100 miles away, so my daughter will be caring for my mare, and I thought I would be paying the expenses, but my daughters MIL wants to be responsible for all of my mares feed bills, hay, rice bran, etc., in exchange for foal, her idea, not mine. Need some help with the best diet for a pregnant, very thin, mare. She is currently on Super 12-8 (M-G) and rice bran. I will post pics tomorrow. If anyone remembers me, I am disabled, and haven't ridden in about 10 years or more. My dr. has approved my being around horses, and maybe trying to ride in the future, just having a horse is thrilling. Oh, and I named her Mystery, because it is a mystery to me, why anyone would give me such a nice horse. I have already bought 4 bags of the Super 12-8, and 1 bag rice bran, but if there's something better, please tell me. Thanks

sandy2u1 07-24-2013 03:38 AM

My first thought is that I am extremely worried that once these horses get some weight on them and get to feeling better, that they will change for the worse. I hope that is not the case, though.

cowgirllinda1952 07-24-2013 10:51 AM

Well, that might already be happening with the 2 my daughter bought. The flea bitten grey has been a barrel horse, and did very well at first, but now she never wants to walk, and is beginning to rear, and act up to the point of being uncontrollable. I don't want to sound prejudice, but this mare came from a group of people who are well known for how they treat their horses. She's very sweet on the ground, though.

Miracle, the sorrel mare, was bought at the auction for $200, she is a really pretty horse, and a great ride, good for kids, but not a dead head. The problem with her is that she starts freaking out, once they begin cinching her up, once cinched, she's fine.

Mystery, my horse, is, so far, a total dead head. It's a little hard to believe that she was any knd of a roping horse. She was used by a 12 year old boy for roping and other ranch work, opening gates, etc. She neck reins, but not well, the only gait she seems willing to do right now is a very slow walk, or a trot, which she stops as soon as she starts, but thats ok, this is my horse, and I've left strict orders that no adults are to be riding her, and no one is to run her. I have already found a great home for the foal, which I have the sense to know that I am in no condition to train a foal, and for it to grow nto te type of horse I would want to ride, would take a lot of training and that means big bucks. While I don't like a real spirited horse, I do enjoy and excellent reining horse, just a well rounded western riding horse with a great lope, that I can do circles, figure 8's and so forth. I'm hoping this mare will not be such a dead head once she gets into condition. We sent one entire day, just brushing, bathing, grooming, I enjoyed it so much.

dbarabians 07-24-2013 05:49 PM

Adding rice bran to their feed should help them gain weight. Not more than a pound a day each though.
I do not know the brand of feed you mentioned. If you buy a senior feed or a complete feed you might get more bang for your bucks.
That mare will need more feed in her last trimester and if I were you I would purchase omolene 300 it already has amplify nuggets added to it for weight gain. The foal will gain a pound a day in the last trimester and the mare will need all the nutrition she can get. The Omolene 300 is specially blended for this.
If those horses are still skinny I would not ride them too far as it would be conterproductive if you are trying to fatten them up.
I also worry about the condition of their feet. A horse standing and grazing in a pasture with long hooves is one thing, riding that same horse might cause some problems.
Take it slow and easy. No need to hurry. Shalom

6gun Kid 07-24-2013 06:50 PM

^^^ couldnt have said it better

cowgirllinda1952 07-24-2013 08:09 PM

Thanks so much. I appreciate all the help and advice. Their feet are not so much long, as just chipped in places, and the one called Miracle (new name) doesn't have long feet at all, but they have a strange look to me. The word that comes into my mind is splayed, but I could be wrong. As for the Omolene 300, my daughters MIL who wants my mares foal, has said she will feed whatever she needs. I will have to check it out and see who sells it. I went to Walmart and found Safeguard, 5lb bags of treats with $1.00 coupon off each bag. The SG was less than $7.00. They also had halters for $7.00.

http://m-ginc.com/mg-12-8-super-hors...eeding-horses/

EmsTNWalkers 07-24-2013 09:13 PM

Yikes, I would be sending the one that is rearing down the road. That could end up being disastrous, and it is difficult and sometimes impossible to curb.

dbarabians offered good advice on the food. He has had many foals and knows the ropes.

franknbeans 07-24-2013 09:36 PM

What has happened with the neighboring stud? I seem to recall there being an issue.....

greentree 07-24-2013 10:04 PM

M-G 12-8 is what I fed when I lived in Texas. I fed it to pregnant mares, show horses, everybody. Never used rice bran. I added Empower to horses that needed a bit extra.

Good Luck with them!

Nancy

SlideStop 07-24-2013 10:13 PM

Many horses go to auction for a reason... they have problems. You should pretty much expect it. I'm sure there are good horses who fall through the cracks, but good, kid safe, well trained, decent aged horses tend to hold their value and sell easily. Around here the meat horses go for $200-400, the nicer ones will be $700+. The rock bottom price of $200 is a dead ringer to me.

In regards to your horse, who your looking to eventually... Be very, very, very careful and of she isn't for you please cut your losses. I work with a woman who has MS and her TWHs. Her mare, who she paid a pretty penny for, is a good match for her. She has a decent spook (just dead stops), very easy to control, can be a little forward while not being out of control and her gaits are smooth (my friend cannot ride regular horses due to balance issues). Her other horse, a kill pen "rescue", is an impulse buy. Her spook is horrible (spook and spin... On a dime), will definitely test you, crotch busting walk, and prone to breaking to an insanely uncomfortable trot. She wanted a horse friends and family could ride but because she was so caught up in the "rescuing" and "love at first sight" to realize she was getting the exact opposite of what she wanted. Unfortunately the guy she bought her from lied and raved about how safe and perfect she was for her. Now the horse sits for days/weeks if I don't have time to go and ride her.

Bottom line is keep yourself safe! Hire a trainer and make sure that horse is 100% before you get on. If the horse doesn't work out find it a new home.

Also, don't ride her until she is in condition to do so! No reason she only wants to do a slow walk!
Posted via Mobile Device