The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Western Pleasure saddles what brand is best (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/western-pleasure-saddles-what-brand-best-239777/)

Tee Cees mum 07-24-2013 05:58 AM

Western Pleasure saddles what brand is best

Hi
I am looking around for a Western Pleasure saddle that I can use to train and show my horse. My daughter is heading to the USA for a few weeks and wants to try to purchase a saddle for me. So I need feedback on what might be the best brand to buy plus what is a good quality saddle worth over there. A little bling would be nice but a quality tree and leather more important.
Any help would be great.

SouthernTrails 07-24-2013 08:15 AM

That is a difficult question. Depends on if the Shows you will be using the Saddle for are Fun Shows or Sanctioned Shows.

If Money is no Object, many say Dale Chavez or Bob's Custom is the Best, but, there are Dozens of other very good brands that are more reasonably priced even if used in the Sanctioned Shows.

The best Saddles are generally custom made and can take 6-26 weeks, depending on what brand to manufacture.

Good Brands will cost 2,000.00, very good Brands 2,500.00 to 3,500.00, the brands that some say are best 6,000 to 8,000.00

The less expensive brands can be found in stock, Like Circle Y, Billy Cook Greenville, Tex-Tan, Crates.

Word of caution, there are many cheap Imports sold here made in Kanpur India, that may look nice but are made with Buffalo Leather and cheap trees, too many to list of those brands :-(

What type of Showing and Breed of Horse?, that can help narrow down whether you want to look at off the shelf or Custom.

spurstop 07-27-2013 12:58 PM

Blue Ribbon and Harris are the top of the line saddles. Other good brands include Wenger, Elite (same maker that used to build for Sergeants) and Reinsman. Kathy's are also well made. The older Chavez saddles are better and more comfortable than the newer ones.

I would personally avoid purchasing a newer Circle Y saddle as I have yet to sit in one that was comfortable enough to ride. I'm also not really a fan of the Tex Tans.

Really, what you are going to end up with is going to depend on your price point. I would recommend looking for an older, used saddle of a name brand to get you started. It's better to purchase a well-made and maintained used saddle that a poorly made new one.

Always ask for the saddle's serial number and verify it with the maker if you are buying online to make sure you are getting the real deal.

333WalkerChloe333 08-19-2013 10:31 PM

My favorite is Dale Chavez. I also know that Billy Cook and Circle Y are also very popular.
Posted via Mobile Device

amberly 08-19-2013 10:32 PM

I have a Textan. It is really nice brand and is very comfortable.
I don't know the average price or where exactly to get them - I got mine at a saddle exchange.

Tee Cees mum 08-20-2013 03:26 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I have decided to go with a custom made saddle by a saddlemaker. It was not an easy decision as the price is higher than I originally had worked out but will be the best option.

Sibyl 09-01-2013 05:46 AM

also my opinion will be late, I would recommend Harris. I rode in all the most famous brands but to me the best is Harris. I have both, working and show saddle made by Harris and it's the first time I switch from one to the other without noticing a difference. Before I always had the problem to train in one saddle and feel somewhat strange in the show saddle.
Good luck with your buy!