The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is this mare to skinny? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/mare-skinny-23980/)

Painteddreamfarm 03-08-2009 09:44 PM

Is this mare to skinny?

3 Attachment(s)
This is my friends 6 yr old paint mare. I say she is a little thin but nothing bad... but I like my horses with a little bit more on them... She is confused because she has her at a boarding stable and she keeps having them "increase" her grain and hay and she is not gaining. She feeds her easy keeper as much as I feed my harder keeper and she is skinnier than my horse. I told her I would post this for her. Let me kow. She has recently been acting as if its really hard to work when we ride and she is ridden daily so she is not out of shape and the vet said she is fine.?. Are we just paranoid?

Peggysue 03-08-2009 10:02 PM

I would like to see a bit more coverage but not alot ...

do you have a full body shot from the side.. she looks FIT .. but the angle could change my opinion LOL

ruger 03-08-2009 10:18 PM

looks like shes in fine shape to me would rather have one a little thin than overweight. if she not gaining weight from a lot of extra feed, she may need her teeth filed.

Skippy! 03-08-2009 10:35 PM

Regardless if she is underweight or not, I must say that it is very obvious she is being fed what she needs because there is a very healthy, beautiful shine on her coat. Her hair looks to be the correct thickness (not brittle and not coarse).

Unlike most horse people (except Ruger, he and I are on the same page, lol!), I actually like my horses slightly underweight. I like to be able to see the very top of the last three ribs. It gives them an athletic look. I do a lot of riding and toning on my horses though.. I feed them properly and their coats can attest to that. I just try to keep the bellies off of them by working them. Again.. my horses are slightly underweight but not neglected. =)

I think that mare looks fine. She has a really nice top line. The only thing i see that looks odd, is where her barrel meets her hip, it is dipped in a little there. But, i could very well be seeing this wrong because i had my head tipped to see the picture =) If you could get a good side shot like PeggySue asked, I could give ya a better opinion!

If you choose to put her on a fat suppliment (i wouldn't put her on a fat suppliment if she were mine) I would recommend one with a Higher "Fat" content, rather than a Higher "Protein" content. So you wont have to worry about her getting too rich of a diet and foundering, etc. =)

Again, im blinded by how beautiful that coat is, she is obviously being well fed (not overfed, but being fed a complete feeding... so she is getting vitamins for her coat, etc)

Painteddreamfarm 03-08-2009 10:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
She is fit but I like to keep my horses where I cant see their ribs as I run a rescue so im always getting skinny horses so i make sure my horses are well fed:-) She doesnt look bad to me but it just makes me nervous because they can loose weight fast!! I attached photos of her full body but the only ones i have are undersaddle.. then I attached a photo of my mare... she to fat? I dont think so but others may?

danastark 03-08-2009 11:03 PM

She looks perfect to me, not too thin and not too fat.

Skippy! 03-09-2009 12:30 AM

Agreed, your horse looks phenominal! Good shine on her too!

loosie 03-09-2009 05:21 AM

She's DEFINITELY not too slim & is far from skinny. The other horse pictured is a little overweight, but not obese.

Horses, as with people, are healthier if they are not so 'well covered'. I hesitate to say 'underweight', because that's just a perception. I can understand that running a welfare org, you want them well covered, but showing a little rib is far preferable to the majority of too fat domestic horses, as far as health is concerned.

smrobs 03-09-2009 08:40 AM

They both look fine to me. I am one of the "too fat" offenders. All of mine are just ridiculously fat. The second is a little heavy but nothing I would worry about. The first just looks very fit. If you look a racehorses in their prime, most people would say that they are skinny. They're not, it just looks that way because they have so little body fat. I think that is the deal with your friends mare. That dip between the barrel and hip that Skippy mentioned may be because her hindquarters are a little small for her or it could be because it looks like she was just worked and was a little drawn up. Nothing a drink of water won't cure. Beautiful horses by the way.

Peggysue 03-09-2009 10:59 AM

see I went to the web page and just didn't get back to post
she looks fine.. I wouldn't put any more weight on her :)