The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Dumbest horse idea (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/dumbest-horse-idea-23998/)

Kentucky 03-09-2009 12:33 AM

Dumbest horse idea

I thought of this back in High school, 4 way crosses were the rage at the time in the beef industary. hybrids as they were called. I want to create a 3 way cross of the QH, ASB and ASH or mustang, the goal was to make a smooth riding cow horse with the endurance.

as far as i got with the idea was playing with it on paper, trying to firgure out how to get a 33%, 33%, and 33% mix of all breeds. I am sure now it wouldn't have worked on several reasons but it seems like a good one at the time.

i even had a name for the breed: Kentucky Cow Horse

Whipple 03-09-2009 12:45 AM

It's not dumb, I don't think so anyhow. But I am an "ideas" person. I come up with so many things that could improve....well whatever. So any idea can be a good one, but if for some reason it can't work, then start over.

FGRanch 03-09-2009 11:27 AM

I'm not sure if I would do that, only because I don't think the QH (at least the well bred ones) can get any better! :D ;)

claireauriga 03-09-2009 02:01 PM

It would be impossible to get an even 1/3 as with sexual breeding you can only obtain fractions with factors of 1/2.

Kentucky 03-09-2009 02:19 PM

i know that and did know at the time as well. like I said it was a bad idea i had in high school. Plus a gaited to nongaited horse cross doesn't usually make for a good riding horse.

Yes, i know some people don't consider the American saddlebred a gaited horse.

Barbarosa 03-09-2009 03:10 PM

Maureen and I had a wonderful little horse that was a Dartmoor Draft Pony/ QH cross. She was the greatest little trail horse.(big draft feet of iron) When we bought her she was bred to a Peruvian Paso.. We called the little filly born that spring a "Pasoquartermoor":shock: and she turned into a great little horse that three little girls now ride, with no bridle, no saddle, they just go pile on, grab some mane and ride.