The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Roaching a friesian (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/roaching-friesian-24013/)

Lucara 03-09-2009 10:29 AM

Roaching a friesian

Now, I know this is probably sacrilegious but...has anyone ever seen a roached friesian? They have a great neck for it and I've always been curious as to what it would look like.

CloudsMystique 03-09-2009 11:51 AM

I haven't seen one. I looked around and couldn't find a picture. They usually roach the manes of Andalusian mares (their necks don't compare to Andalusian stallions and geldings, but they're still pretty thick). Here's a picture of a black Andalusian... the closest I could find to what you wanted.

http://www.gremlanfarms.com/graphics...na_1_thumb.jpg

And here's a Percheron with a roached mane. I think it looks kind of neat.

Brego Roached Mane on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Skippy! 03-09-2009 12:50 PM

Im sure this is an old wives tale.. but i've heard that you cannot cut a Friesians mane.. it would actually do something to the friesian in the eyes of the registry or something. I think you can only cut enough off to prevent the horse from hurting itself.

I am probably completely wrong, but i still thought it'd be fun to share that random little bit of info someone gave me in the past =) According to that wives tale it would be sacrilege!! LOL!

I am no where near a Friesian expert, so don't take my word too seriously :p!

Lucara 03-09-2009 02:52 PM

From what i've heard its a HUGE no no to cut the feathers of a Friesian. Not sure if thats true or not either.

Of course it will all grow back which is why I'm not sure any of it would be true.

CJ82Sky 03-09-2009 03:18 PM

I'm not a huge fan of roaching manes, though we have an appy here (snowflake app) who's quite the looker and he doesn't grow any sort of decent mane and it's roached, and looks great on him! As an added bonus, it makes it easier for shows ;)

Not sure that a fresian would look good though and even the blank andalusian mare that you posted pics of made me sorta cringe - I LOVE long manes!

My Beau 03-09-2009 03:45 PM

The was a thread over on COTH about this awhile ago. Someone posted pics of their roached and "de-feathered" friesian and the horse looked stunning!!!

Skippy! 03-09-2009 03:54 PM

CJ82Sky, I agree.. some horses sport the roach pretty well. Others just look a lot better with a mane :p

And Lucara, i heard that about the feathers too!

It amazes me that someone actually de-feathered and roached their friesian! O.O! Isn't it no longer a "breed standard" friesian if you shave the feathers off? I mean.. mane growth/length depends on the horse and the diet.. but i think that the Friesian horse has to have feathers.. if you keep shaving them off... what does that make the horse? I understand that the feathers will grow back.. but still.. im pretty sure you couldnt take a Friesian with shaved fetlocks and a roached mane to a Friesian Show and expect to win o.o or to take a young Friesian with shaved fetlocks and a roached mane to the Kuering and expect to get high marks... if any marks at all!

I think the presence of a mane (like i said... length varies from horse to horse) and the presence of Feathers are two of the breed characteristics of Friesians... shaving them would make the horse into something else... I guess it would be like taking a Cocker Spaniel into an AKC show and shaving its ears, cropping them, and leaving the tail long and shaving the dogs entire body down. It sure as heck don't look like a Cocker anymore.. regardless of what the papers say!

I hope that all makes sense.. lol. i think i repeated myself 7 times :p

Lucara 03-09-2009 03:58 PM

Oh I wouldn't touch the feathers! I LOOOOVE feathered horses. I'm not a big fan of mane upkeep though. I had to battle with Samsons thich locks. I would never have the heart to roach it but, thinking back, he would look perfect with it roached.

Look at those mile long friesian manes makes my eyes twitch when you think about the care fo them.

MirrorStage2009 03-09-2009 05:33 PM

Friesian hair

Actually, it's not that important in the bigger picture.

Yes, it a breed characteristic and trait, and one point that makes them much loved, but when talking about the Keur and a bald Friesian, it's much ado about nothing. The Keur s based on important matters...conformation, gait and temperment. Yes, the judges will look at the hair, but it's nothing more than cosmetic and won't affect a good quality horse! The Keur is not an "in-hand halter" class.

As for the feathers, a lot of people will shave them off for medical reasons, if the horse as scratches, or they want to prevent scratches if their Friesian is kept in wet conditions. I've also seen some Dressage competitior's shave the feathers off...maybe to get a more streamlined look (or sometimes I think it's to hide the fact that the horse is a Friesian as many people still tell me Dressage judges are biased to Friesians?? :?).

Personally, I hate the look of the feathers shaved off. Mostly because Friesians have dinner-plate hooves, and without the feathers the legs-to-hoof look big and clunky. :shock:

And while I adore the enchanting mane, Friesians do look good with a "mohawk" 'cuz it makes them look statuesque, chisled and quite polished. That's how Friesians were presented in the big driving competition in Africa (where Dutch settlers brought them). I'll try and scan a picture...

Dumas'_Grrrl 03-09-2009 05:38 PM

I have and always will feel that if a horse has a good neck, you deserve to see it. I think roaching is slick and shows off one of the most elegant features a horse has.

It's just schmexy!!! :D