The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Clydesdales (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/clydesdales-240241/)

Cruiser 07-24-2013 05:07 PM

Clydesdales

I was wondering if anyone could give me any experiences raising a young Clydesdale.

A family member wants to give me one of the foals that they are expecting next year, long story why, but that makes little difference any who. And I am tentively looking for my mare's replacement, due to her fast apporaching early retirement because of health issues.

Never thought of a full draft, these Clydesdale do not exceed 17 hh some are only 16 hh but that's just what they raise, they are also slimmer built and parents are great looking horses.

I would like to show and compete locally, also would like to jump 2'6" max but that's not a huge deal to me. I mostly ride western on trails, and show and school in a english saddle with strong dressage influences all around. Of course the horse would be 5 plus years old before anything to much, also would be looking to become my new sidesaddle mount once mature.

Anything to watch out for, feeding differently? I've taken care of young horses but they were not mine. Feel free to had anything, tips, ideas, suggestions anything.

My2Geldings 07-26-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruiser (Post 3153225)
I was wondering if anyone could give me any experiences raising a young Clydesdale.

A family member wants to give me one of the foals that they are expecting next year, long story why, but that makes little difference any who. And I am tentively looking for my mare's replacement, due to her fast apporaching early retirement because of health issues.

Never thought of a full draft, these Clydesdale do not exceed 17 hh some are only 16 hh but that's just what they raise, they are also slimmer built and parents are great looking horses.

I would like to show and compete locally, also would like to jump 2'6" max but that's not a huge deal to me. I mostly ride western on trails, and show and school in a english saddle with strong dressage influences all around. Of course the horse would be 5 plus years old before anything to much, also would be looking to become my new sidesaddle mount once mature.

Anything to watch out for, feeding differently? I've taken care of young horses but they were not mine. Feel free to had anything, tips, ideas, suggestions anything.

Feeding is very similar to a regular sized horse. I've raised full drafts until they were 3 before I sold them and feeding is no different than a light horse. I think the most difficult thing to deal with is the same issue you would deal with a light bred horse-except that these problems are magnified by the fact they weight a lot more and are stronger. I find most of the ones I've raised were more laid back and easy going, but when they got in a playful or testing temper, they more difficult to handle and you really need to know what you're doing.

If you know you can handle that type of problem and you know you can very strict with them as they grow up, then you can have a truly phenomenal horse, especially for what you plan on doing.

Cruiser 07-27-2013 11:33 AM

Thanks My2Geldings.

I spent a lot of time with three of my foal-to-be's full siblings (6 months, three years, and 5 years) the past week. The breeder is excited that one of his foals will be staying in province to be shown. As most as shipped out as breeding and show stock around Canada/US, this is the breeders last foal he's stopped breeding and sold the stallion.

Really hope this works out, the foal is due in late winter/early spring so still a ways to go. And I will get help if I feel like I am over my head, it's a bit of a size difference from the draft ponies I helped bring up.

My2Geldings 07-29-2013 05:59 PM

You know you can always access knowledgeable horse people. You're in over your head only once you are running into problems and you refuse to ask someone for help :D

Hope it works out for you, it would be awesomee seeing you with a clyde foal.