The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Training a green horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/training-green-horse-240425/)

Labelmegold 07-24-2013 10:36 PM

Training a green horse?

Hey y'all, so I was wondering how do you train a green horse? I understand it is not a thing for beginners but if I do decide to buy a green horse I will have a trainer to help me. But I was just wondering what to do in my free time with him or exercising him when my trainer isn't around, and what are the pros and cons of buying and training a greenie? Thanks y'all.(:
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-24-2013 10:42 PM

First off, howdy and welcome to the forum :D.

Second, this may sound very blunt, but the answer is simple. If you are a new rider, don't buy a green horse, period. You need a horse that knows the ropes so that they can help you to learn. If both the horse and rider are learning at the same time, it almost always ends in frustration unless there is a trainer present every time you handle the horse.

With a green horse, every little thing you do matters and it doesn't take but just one or two mistakes before you're in a whole heap of trouble; unmanageable horse, one or both of you hurt, make you scared of riding or handling horses, etc.

SlideStop 07-24-2013 10:50 PM

That's like asking how do I be a nurse? How do I be a cop? How do I fix my car?

The answer is there is no answer. Every horse is different and reacts better/worse to different methods. Some green horses will be angels while others may very well turn into a saddled devil. The is no cookie cutter way to train a greenie. It takes a lot of real life experience! We cant just say x, y, and z over the internet. Many trainers have spent their lifetimes dedicated to the pursuit of horse training, there is no way for us to just tell you via the internet.

Just a thought... It's a LOT easier to have it done right the first time. Its WAY difficult to UNTRAIN a horse from bad training.

Pros... Satisfaction of doing it? Experience.

Cons... Broken bones, a horse who has turned into a train wreck
Posted via Mobile Device

Mochachino 07-24-2013 10:54 PM

There's the saying "Green and green = black and blue". Find a horse that is safe and for a beginner. There are great horses out there that will be patient, willing and forgiving to teach you how to ride and you can develop some confidence on the ground and in saddle and learn how to care for a horse.

Labelmegold 07-24-2013 10:55 PM

Thank you all!(:

I wouldn't quite say I am a beginner but I am defiantly not the best out there. I have ridden for around four years give or take, and handled anywhere from dressage to barrel racing horses. I would have a trainer with me the majority of the time, I was just thinking if I would like to take him/her out to lunge after my trainer deemed it okay. Would that sway your opinion at all? (:

Mochachino 07-24-2013 10:59 PM

So you have 4 years of riding experience with these disciplines? When you say green, has the horse had some regular training? Has it been ridden? If so, how much, and what can it do? Honestly, you would have to have a whole lot of help from the trainer and that is going to require money. You can find horses cheap nowadays that are all ready trained, safe and you can just progress with your riding. Is there a specific reason you want this horse?

SlideStop 07-24-2013 11:01 PM

For greenies EVERY experience is a training moment while a seasoned horse will be more forgiving of mistakes. Again, it much harder to untrain a horse then to do it right the first time.

At the end of the day its your decision... and your heartache, neck, wallet, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

rideverystride 07-24-2013 11:11 PM

If you need to ask how to train a green horse you should not be doing it yourself. Nuff said.

Labelmegold 07-24-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochachino (Post 3156481)
So you have 4 years of riding experience with these disciplines? When you say green, has the horse had some regular training? Has it been ridden? If so, how much, and what can it do? Honestly, you would have to have a whole lot of help from the trainer and that is going to require money. You can find horses cheap nowadays that are all ready trained, safe and you can just progress with your riding. Is there a specific reason you want this horse?

My instructor often switched me between classes so I do not have a set four years in any particular one but rather an understanding and ability to ride most of them.

The horse I am interested in has been started in training and is capable of being ridden bareback but at nothing more than a walk. The people that own him are friends of friends and the more I visit the more I fall in love with this horse. Their training methods however may work for them but I find them harsh, meaning they don't reward the horse when he does something correct but rather only beat him when he does something wrong. He is a very sweat and gentle horse but just needs to be trained better, he already lifts his feet very well to be cleaned and will stand still to be groomed.

rideverystride 07-24-2013 11:15 PM

I still say you do not have the experience to train this horse. Four years is not a lot, and you say he's only trained at a walk, and apparently no saddle training from my impression. Do not fall in love with this horse, he is too much for you. Even though he is sweet natured. Green riders should not train green horses.