The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Lazy Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/lazy-horse-240506/)

TheSnowyStorm 07-25-2013 01:52 AM

Lazy Horse

How do I fix a lazy horse? When I'm riding and lunging he wont trot! Ive got the right, proper fitted tack and he isnt lame! What do I do? How do I un-lazy him! Thank you!

-Stacey

Phly 07-25-2013 02:24 AM

Stop asking. Make him.

A crop, whip, bootheel, go above and beyond the first time you tell. Then ask, then tell after the clear que has been made.

Lazy, likely, but playing ya for a light weight maybe an issue too.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheSnowyStorm 07-25-2013 02:34 AM

I use a very good crop and I do give him a banging. ( not to hard. Don't want to hurt him!
Posted via Mobile Device

Phly 07-25-2013 02:39 AM

And there ya go.....
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 07-25-2013 03:00 AM

ive kicked a horse till my legs hurt! :lol:

Agree with phly- you letting him get away with being lazy is making him lazy--make that horse move!

Phly 07-25-2013 03:03 AM

Ok, long story short, you won't hurt him. It's likely not even possible you could faze him with your body strength alone.
Crops make noise and tickle at best.

Your gonna have to make the decision to be more assertive or have a horse that could care less your up there.

All goes back to ground work, training, and respect. You'll never out muscle or force a horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

SaskGal 07-25-2013 03:17 AM

Number 1 thing to do with lazy horses make it interesting for them!.most r not lazy just bored!

CandyCanes 07-25-2013 05:03 AM

When riding:
Give him a squeeze. No response? Give him a kick. No response? Give him a smack behind the saddle with the whip.
That's the best method of making them get up and go. It's worked for me countless times, and is much nicer for them than constantly kicking them.

RedTree 07-25-2013 07:33 AM

Lazy/stubborn your just gonna have to make him do what you want, I once ride this girls pony for her because she just wouldn't go forward, I got on, grabbed a stick from the ground, ask nicely, then just had to tell her, she was just plain stubborn, got her to move in the end was kicking her pretty hard mind you

SaskGal 07-26-2013 02:16 AM

Biggest thing, be persistent! Do stuff in order like for ex poke, no response then tap, then hit then hit firmly. But once u start u can't stop because that means u have failed if u do!