The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Do you wear a helmet when riding? Poll (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/do-you-wear-helmet-when-riding-24054/)

Equus_girl 03-09-2009 10:43 PM

Do you wear a helmet when riding? Poll

I thought it would be interesting to see how many people always wear helmets, never do or just sometimes do. For me I pretty much always wear a helmet, but it is more habit than anything as I usually ride pretty calm horses.

1dog3cats17rodents 03-10-2009 06:44 AM

Always! You never know when even the calmest horsest horses will spook, or just plain trip and catapult you twenty feet into a fence (speaking from experience an watching others, lol)

smrobs 03-10-2009 07:30 AM

I have never worn a helmet and probably never will. I am pretty good at the whole tuck and roll thing. LOL.

Equuestriaan 03-10-2009 07:47 AM

Always. I'd rather not crack my head open, kthx.

Loosewolf 03-10-2009 08:00 AM

I am on my second "Lid" now, as I have destroyed the 1st one since summer last year. Where I happen to ride, there are just too many things to crack-open ones cranium, so it has proved it's worth so far...
They are designed to self-destruct on impact, as that is part of it's protection design (like a crumple-zone on your car) So when I crack one open, to the garbage can it does go...
I played Ice Hockey for years, and know the value of helmets...Lord I HATE concussions

-Lw

Iluvjunior 03-10-2009 08:46 AM

oh yea definitely my insturctor would kill me if i didnt

ridingismylife2 03-10-2009 09:47 AM

i've been riding for almost 12 years and have never EVER rode without one :)

Siscokid 03-10-2009 09:51 AM

I never wear a helmet, but my kids wear their helmets most of the time. I grew up not wearing a helmet, and they make my head feel heavy. I think it's just what you get used to.

Vidaloco 03-10-2009 10:38 AM

I'm obviously one of the few who occasionally wear a helmet. I never wore one till I had a bad fall. I wear it for sure if we are riding on the roads or if we are riding with a group on unknown terrain. If we are riding our trails I seem to forget to take it. Guess I just haven't gotten in the habit of wearing it yet. I need to :oops:

Britt 03-10-2009 10:48 AM

I've never worn a helmet... I didn't even know people wore helmets while riding horses until I was about... oh, say eleven or twelve. I doubt I'll ever wear one unless I start taking lesson or something like that...