The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Riding bareback on trails? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/riding-bareback-trails-24072/)

english_rider144 03-10-2009 10:46 AM

Riding bareback on trails?

Has anybody done this? I know of people who do it. I mean we ride the horses bareback on trails when we go swimming with them. Though never just going all out bareback on trails. The trails I go on arent bad so it would be ok but I want more opinoins.

Britt 03-10-2009 10:50 AM

I've done it lots...

I've ridden bareback on some of the more dangerous trails out here that go over the mountains just because I didn't feel like saddling up or something... It's really awesome and fun, I just can't get faster than a trot in case my mare decides to throw in a good buck or three.

english_rider144 03-10-2009 11:11 AM

lol or three. The mare that I'm thinking of leasing doesnt usually wear a saddle so the owner rides her bareback. Shes a good horse. Shes only ever spooked once at a bike.

Walkamile 03-10-2009 11:12 AM

Use to ride bareback on trails years ago (when I was younger and quicker). Now I very rarely ride bareback, my saddle is way too comfortable, plus I always carry trail vet kit and trail grooming equipment. Things change when you get older.....sigh.:-|

Spastic_Dove 03-10-2009 01:18 PM

When I first started leasing my pony, the owners wouldn't let me ride with a saddle unless I could gallop bareback. So for the first few years, I did EVERYTHING bareback lol.
I wish I still had the seat I used to. My butt was made of velcro =P

Curly_Horse_CMT 03-10-2009 01:26 PM

I rode bareback all the TIME on by paint mare...for years. We ride some pretty rough trails, and have alot of fun. Bareback teaches you more balence and our horses dont mind it a bit. There is nothing like having a horse move out under you flat out and not having a saddle to "hold you in" lol

smr 03-10-2009 02:28 PM

I ride bareback a lot. I come home from work and just don't want to take the time to saddle one up.

It has come at a price, I was riding a friends horse bareback last week and she busted out on me. It was really hard to control and I finally ended up wapping my head on a tree. From now on I will stick to just riding my horses (very well broke) bareback.

CloudsMystique 03-10-2009 03:08 PM

I trail ride my mare bareback almost every day! Nothing beats it : ]

smrobs 03-10-2009 07:01 PM

Love riding bareback. I have a lot better connection with the horse than I do with my heavy roping saddle. The only problem I ever run into is getting back on after having to get off to open a gate. LOL. I am too out of shape to just swing up there anymore.

Percheronbaby 03-12-2009 01:23 PM

we ride bareback ALL the time and EVERYWHERE. traila are way fun bareback, just be sure you dont have a spooky horse and a sure footed one.