The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse Registering (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-registering-2408/)

~Tina~ 06-30-2007 05:04 PM

Horse Registering

Hello, I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I was wondering, I'm a first time buyer and going to be getting my first horse in a couple months. It is not registered but I want to get it to be. I am going to turn him in to a jumper. Anyone know what I do?

Rachluvshorses4eva 06-30-2007 09:53 PM

I think you have to sign reg papers or something...

hanse004 07-01-2007 12:19 AM

Usually one or both of the horse's parents must be registered.

bubba13 07-01-2007 04:54 PM

Unless he is a color breed, like Pinto, or perhaps a warmblood, the only way you can register him is through the grade horse association which is, to put it mildly, worthless. Better off keeping him unregistered.

~Tina~ 07-01-2007 05:42 PM

He's a Chestnut Quarter Horse as far as I know.

Frog 07-01-2007 09:57 PM

If he is branded then you can register with any competition society without knowing his pedigree. As far as I know you can not register an unbranded horse.

For breed registration you will need to find out his parentage and if either sire or dam were registered. I'm not sure on the particulars of the QH registration process though so I can not help you there I'm sorry

NickieB 07-03-2007 04:14 PM

In order for you to register a quarter horse, you need both of it's parents names and registration numbers. Any chance of finding those? You will also need to become a member of AQHA. One year membership is $30, 3 years is $65. We are lifetime members which costs $400 now and we register all of our babies before 7 months of age, which costs $25 per foal for members. I'm looking at our reg. applications, and if your horse is over 2 years old, it costs $1000 for non-members and $1030 for non-members. It's up to you, but personally, I'd save my money. If you do find his parents names, I'd be happy to research them for you. I have access to AQHA's database of registered horses and do quite a bit of research that way.

NickieB 07-03-2007 04:15 PM

In order for you to register a quarter horse, you need both of it's parents names and registration numbers. Any chance of finding those? You will also need to become a member of AQHA. One year membership is $30, 3 years is $65. We are lifetime members which costs $400 now and we register all of our babies before 7 months of age, which costs $25 per foal for members. I'm looking at our reg. applications, and if your horse is over 2 years old, it costs $1000 for non-members and $1030 for non-members. It's up to you, but personally, I'd save my money. If you do find his parents names, I'd be happy to research them for you. I have access to AQHA's database of registered horses and do quite a bit of research that way.

NickieB 07-03-2007 04:29 PM

In addition to all of that, a breeding report of your horses sire and dam needs to have been done too. If you don't have that, there is virtually no way of getting your horse registered.

~Tina~ 07-08-2007 11:05 PM

Well, I'm not sure of anything yet, I'm just waiting for the owner now to answer my email.