The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Where to get draft horse saddle pads (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/where-get-draft-horse-saddle-pads-240850/)

smokeslastspot 07-25-2013 03:51 PM

Where to get draft horse saddle pads

Does anyone know where to get extra large or draft sized saddle pads and/or blankets?

A friend of mine rides a Belgian mare and has a draft saddle that fits her. The problem is she cannot find a pad that is big enough to go with the saddle. Every pad she tries the saddle hangs over the edge of the pad. She tried one draft specialty place (I don't recall the name) and they told her they only had regular sized pads.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 07-25-2013 04:22 PM

just google on line for draft horse supplies. if all else fails, find a mexican wool blanket and fold it in half, the type for like lap throws .

StandingOvation 07-25-2013 04:29 PM

Tell your friend to measure the length/width of the skirt (if western) and then go from there. Prof choice has some 33x38 pads, which is pretty big. I've also seen 34x36.

My2Geldings 07-26-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeslastspot (Post 3161930)
Does anyone know where to get extra large or draft sized saddle pads and/or blankets?

A friend of mine rides a Belgian mare and has a draft saddle that fits her. The problem is she cannot find a pad that is big enough to go with the saddle. Every pad she tries the saddle hangs over the edge of the pad. She tried one draft specialty place (I don't recall the name) and they told her they only had regular sized pads.
Posted via Mobile Device

Have you looked at just using western saddle pads? they unfold and are usually much larger than english ones.

smrobs 07-26-2013 11:31 PM

Is she riding English or western? Not to sound too nosy, but how big is your friend's saddle? Does the saddle hang over the sides of the pad down by the cinch or at the pommel and cantle?

PercheronMom 08-03-2013 09:27 AM

I ride my draft with a dressage saddle and I have a regular dressage saddle pad that fits great. I have several friends that ride drafts and they use the same as I do. Happily, not everything has to be "draft" sized to work on a draft.

azarni 08-05-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PercheronMom (Post 3244866)
I ride my draft with a dressage saddle and I have a regular dressage saddle pad that fits great. I have several friends that ride drafts and they use the same as I do. Happily, not everything has to be "draft" sized to work on a draft.

Yeah, I always used "full" size saddle pads with my draft saddle. Never had a problem, but the "all purpose" pads were always too small.