The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Black hoof polish for a palomino? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/black-hoof-polish-palomino-240994/)

ThisGirl 07-25-2013 06:51 PM

Black hoof polish for a palomino?

I have a palomino QH who has three white socks and three light hooves and one mixed hoof. Should i use black or clear hoof polish? i will probably only be showing in local shows.

toto 07-25-2013 06:56 PM

Black just looks more professional than clear-- my opinion. :-P

waresbear 07-25-2013 06:59 PM

Everyone here uses hoof black, except Appaloosas with the striped hooves, they use the clear. I guess everyone uses the black because white hooves are yellowish looking, clear highlights that and is not attractive.

spurstop 07-27-2013 12:23 PM

Most people are going to clear with the exception of the bigger circuits and world/national shows. The black is a pretty harsh look, especially on lighter horses and white legs.

Little Mare 08-22-2013 12:05 PM

I am not a fan of black polish on light legs/light hooves. I think they look big and bulky. Some people sand light and parti hooves (to make them whiter, less yellow) and paint them with clear polish. Or, just go for the clear.

TheAQHAGirl 08-27-2013 12:44 AM

If your horse has white hooves, go with clear. Never liked the look of black hoof polish on a Palomino. Too much of an eye sore.

smrobs 08-27-2013 02:48 AM

I guess it depends on her feet LOL. If she's got stellar feet and legs, then you may want to go with black because it will draw attention to the lower half of her LOL. If she's just got average legs/feet, then I'd probably go with clear, it wouldn't be quite so startling against her lighter body color.

franknbeans 08-27-2013 06:51 PM

No black on a palomino unless you want her to look like she has fake feet. I prefer the to look like a polished version of natural, myself.

Cynical25 08-28-2013 10:47 AM

Gently go over the hooves with fine grit sandpaper to brighten them up, then use clear polish over.

Haley 08-29-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 3470993)
If your horse has white hooves, go with clear. Never liked the look of black hoof polish on a Palomino. Too much of an eye sore.

Very much agreed. As long as you're doing performance and not halter. The halter crowd does black hooves on every horse no matter the coloring, for whatever inane reasoning.

Sand the hooves (most importantly the white ones) with a sanding block to get the yucky stained look off before applying the polish, that really makes a huge difference.