The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Who feeds the recommended amount of grain? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/who-feeds-recommended-amount-grain-241137/)

Lopin N Paint 07-25-2013 09:33 PM

Who feeds the recommended amount of grain?

Do you feed the recommended amount of feed according to the bag?

Just looking for opinions. I bought a new horse and I'm starting him on Prurina Ultium soon. I want MUSCLE and TOPLINE which he currently lacks. I'm riding him or working with him 1 - 1.5 hours 5-6 times a week.

Do I work up to the recommended amount then back off once he looks fat?

He really is lacking muscle and topline.

farmpony84 07-25-2013 09:58 PM

I adjust as needed. I have those quart feed buckets (I think they are 8) and one of my horses gets a full one twice a day. He doesn't eat hay because he has no teeth. One gets a half twice a day while the other three get about a third twice per day. I hay twice a day as well and they get about 12 hours each in the pasture....

Endiku 07-25-2013 10:04 PM

I'm not sure that Kenzie counts since she's mid rehab, but I'm not feeding recommended amounts either. I started out feeding recommended weight of Nutrena Life Design Mare and Foal but I've found that she's actually doing better with less of it and more beet pulp instead. The recommended amount for her to eat right now is 4.5 lbs, she's getting 2.5 lbs and looking better than ever. She also gets a boat load of suppliments, BP, and hay pellets/flakes though.

Lopin N Paint 07-25-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 3165185)
I adjust as needed. I have those quart feed buckets (I think they are 8) and one of my horses gets a full one twice a day. He doesn't eat hay because he has no teeth. One gets a half twice a day while the other three get about a third twice per day. I hay twice a day as well and they get about 12 hours each in the pasture....

I've only had my guy a week, and he has past trauma issues lol, so I think moving him kinda freaked him out a little. He is 6 years old. He looks like he is calm but I've been around horses long enough to see that very desperate look in his eye. He has no idea what is expected of him, and as far as he knows I will be eating him tomorrow lol.

He gets fed twice a day but in the morning I put him out in his paddock with his hay and gosh darn it he won't eat it! Granted his paddock has grass, but it's not really good pasture or anything. At night I give him almost half a bale of hay and he eats it all... Not even a blades left. I'd feel better if he ate his hay though.

I think he will need grain the way I work with him anyway, and I've used Ultium in the past and loved it.

Btw he is out from 8 am- 6pm. If he is in all day because of weather I stop by and give him a lunch hay. I self care board right now.

Brighteyes 07-25-2013 10:15 PM

I feed recommend portions to both my horses. My Arabian gets the minimally recommended one pound of TC ration balancer. My SSH gets min recommended 4 pounds of feed. She needed more weight. She ate 6 pounds until she got up to a proper weight. Afterwards I backed off to 4 pounds. If she starts losing weight again, I may have to up her feed permanently. Just have to find a balance.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-25-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lopin N Paint (Post 3164865)
Do you feed the recommended amount of feed according to the bag?

Just looking for opinions. I bought a new horse and I'm starting him on Prurina Ultium soon. I want MUSCLE and TOPLINE which he currently lacks. I'm riding him or working with him 1 - 1.5 hours 5-6 times a week.

Do I work up to the recommended amount then back off once he looks fat?

He really is lacking muscle and topline.

When I'm trying to add weight, I feed according to the recommendation for the weight I want the horse to be. For instance, let's say he weighs 900 lbs right now but I want him to weigh 1100 lbs when he's fit and looking good. I'd start with 2 lbs morning and night, and work my way up to 6.5 to 7 lbs or 3.25 to 3.50 lbs twice a day. Based on what your saying of his work, I go with moderate work amount to start. If you increase his work a little or he's not gaining as much as you'd like on that, then increase up to the Heavy Work amount. Once he's where you want him you can start cutting back to the recommended amount.

I LOVE the way my horses look on Ultium, so once they're up to where I want them, I still feed it or if it fits the horse better I switch to Strategy Healthy Edge.

Oliveren15 07-25-2013 10:41 PM

Personally, I don't feed the recommended amount for my guy. He's 1150lbs and if I did, he'd be getting 10 pounds of feed a day, and I would be going through a bag of feed every 5 days. So instead I give him about 1.5 lbs twice a day and free choice hay.

Sharpie 07-25-2013 11:04 PM

I chose 'other'. When my guy was underweight, yes, I fed what the bag said. Once his weight was good, I switched to a ration balancer to get him all his vitamins/minerals without all the calories and he get a couple handfuls of the grain as a 'snack' to keep him happy while the other horses get fed/to mix his supplements in. If you don't feed the minimum on the bag, your horse doesn't get the vit/min. If you can't feed the minimum because your horse turns into a fattie, you need a RB so they can still get the vit/min but not the calories.

verona1016 07-26-2013 04:40 PM

I feed the recommended amount of a ration balancer. I chose the RB specifically because my horse would be a big tub of lard if I gave him 4+ lbs of the senior feed my barn uses as their standard grain, but I still wanted him to get the nutrients of a full ration.

Trinity3205 07-29-2013 01:06 AM

You need to feed the recommended amount or supplement nutrition if your horse gets fat on it. Ration balancers are.great fir horses who do.t need alot of feed. That amount is recommended because feeding less will not complete a nutritional profile for recommended.daily amounts of nutrients. It has nothibg ro do with putting on weight. Just fyi. Easy keepers can be fed ration balancers or vitamin supplements and some alfalfa pellets if you need some extra.calories but not enough to feed a grain. Feeding less that the recommended amount is not a good idea and means your horse will become deficiant in whatever their forage is lacking or low in. That is often proteins, copper, zinc, selenium in some areas, and so forth. A fortified feed wont help if the horse only gets part of the multi vitamin thst is added.
Posted via Mobile Device