The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   What TO wear? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/what-wear-241306/)

lilypoo 07-26-2013 03:20 AM

What TO wear?

What do you wear when you ride? Particularly western riders? I'm just into pleasure/trail for now with a far-fetched fantasy of someday learning to compete in western pleasure and maybe even reining.

Typically I've been wearing bermuda-length denim shorts, my Justin Gypsy boots (which are short) and tank tops or casual t-shirts. I would wear jeans but it's 110+ here some days and I just can't stand to be too hot.

Most (all?) of the skinny girls seem to wear tight western jeans with lots of bold stitching and bling on the back pockets. Even if those were to come in my size they'd probably be uncomfortable. I'm really hard to fit since my gut is two sizes larger than my butt and legs.

I've been considering hot-fixing some crystals and doing some heavy-threaded decorative stitching on my Just My Size and Faded Glory brand shorts...not sure if it's worth the effort though. LOL But yeah, I typically buy cheap clothes because I'm on a looooong journey to get in shape and lose weight, so I don't necessarily want to buy a $75 pair of jeans that will fit for all of a month.

But I feel soooooo frumpy sometimes!

Cacowgirl 07-26-2013 10:43 AM

You may not understand the wisdom of this-but rider comfort tops "looking cool" any day of the week. Now, if you're going into the show ring-that gets specific, but trail riding-go for being comfortable. Once you're at the weight you want to be at-then do some shopping for "looks".

RandysWifey 07-26-2013 11:08 AM

In the summer, even though I primarily ride western, I wear breeches-it is too **** hot for jeans. In the winter, I'll wear jeans or breeches with some cuddle duds underneath. I cant STAND sweaty jeans!

nickers103 07-26-2013 11:28 AM

I agree with Cacowgirl in that if you're not doing much showing, go for comfort over looks. I mainly just ride in some wrangler Q-Baby jeans (mind you, they're a bit thick) or some shorts with chaps for riding depending on the day. I also prefer to wear a tank top or casual t-shirt in that they can get dirty but keep me cool.

redpony 07-26-2013 12:19 PM

Stick with comfy! There are always gonna be those that can afford to buy the blingy expensive "in" fashions but it sounds like you are just wanting to have fun and enjoy your horse and you can't do that if you are uncomfortable. Save your money.
Posted via Mobile Device

toosexy4myspotz 07-26-2013 12:35 PM

I prefer my walmart LEI's and tank tops. If it fits good and is comfortable I will pay whatever but for some reason the LEI's at walmart fit me like a glove. If I put "bling" on the pockets of my pants I would be so PO'ed because it would scratch the hard seat on my saddle and that aint gonna happen. I , typically, wear shotgun chaps at all times too. Now, sense I have been pregnant, I have just rode without the chaps because I cant afford to get to hot.

I have thought about trying breeches but then again I ride in chaps normally so what would be the point? I really dont feel comfortable with something that clingy around my butt either. LoL

lilypoo 07-26-2013 04:27 PM

I've never tried breeches but had wondered about them.

Actually I just remembered, one day I rode in yoga pants, cropped length. Just inexpensive, comfy ones from Old Navy. Now...that was even comfier than denim...because yes, I also HATE the feel of sweaty denim! Maybe I'll make yoga pants my goto when it's cool enough to wear something longer than shorts. Darned desert! ;)

Maybe I'll do one blinged-up pair of shorts and save those for trips to the feed store or western store. Ha!

GamingGrrl 07-26-2013 04:34 PM

Barrel racer and pleasure rider here.
I wear Wrangler Rock 47s, the typical blingy butt jeans but they're heavy duty enough not to fall apart from daily riding.

For tops I wear either long tank tops or v-necks with a cami/tank underneath.

My boots are either Ariat fat baby's, or my ropers if I need my slide on spurs because they have a better shelf on them and its way easier to slide the spurs on.
Posted via Mobile Device

toosexy4myspotz 07-27-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilypoo (Post 3171138)
I've never tried breeches but had wondered about them.

Actually I just remembered, one day I rode in yoga pants, cropped length. Just inexpensive, comfy ones from Old Navy. Now...that was even comfier than denim...because yes, I also HATE the feel of sweaty denim! Maybe I'll make yoga pants my goto when it's cool enough to wear something longer than shorts. Darned desert! ;)

Maybe I'll do one blinged-up pair of shorts and save those for trips to the feed store or western store. Ha!

I have rode in yoga pants a few times but I feel like I slide all over the place because my saddle seat is really slick and then the yoga pants just made it worse.

tinyliny 07-27-2013 12:49 AM

Bling on any pants you ride in is a no-no to me. I don't want my old saddle torn to bits by Swarofsky crystals on my back pockets.

It's one of the greatest things about being over 50; you stop caring what other people think about your clothes.