The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Any input on Smartpaks Smartlyte pellets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/any-input-smartpaks-smartlyte-pellets-241362/)

Cowgirls Boots 07-26-2013 06:43 AM

Any input on Smartpaks Smartlyte pellets?

125 Attachment(s)
So my gelding has slobbers really bad and I put him on Apple Dex electrolytes so help him out a bit and he was doing great on them.....but he ended up eating them for a week no problems and one day he was kinda picking at his grain and not finishing it all like he normal pig self.

He didn't like the apple flavor of those electrolytes but doesn't have a problem with eating apple flavored Cosequin or apples in general. Weirdo.

So I'm looking into smartpaks electrolytes in pellet form. My horse gets alot of powdery supplements already so I think a pellet may be more beneficial to him.

The only issue is that they are banana-apple flavored and if he doesn't eat them I can't syringe them to him with water like I could with powder.

Any input? My horse loves every kind of food so I was a br shocked when he wasn't a fan of the Apple dex. And it was weird that after a week he started protesting eating them. Also, nothing else was different about his feed besides the electrolytes and once I took them out he was back eatin like normal.

Input?? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 07-26-2013 08:39 AM

They will send samples for you to try.

Cowgirls Boots 07-26-2013 08:51 AM

125 Attachment(s)
They do?! How much Are samples?
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 07-26-2013 08:56 AM

usually the sample is free,
But what kinda work is your horse doing ? Sounds like you may be overdosing him and he knows it.
Buy him a HORSE salt/mineral block. Not those super hard cattle blocks. Be advised you need it in a dry area as rain will crumble them. And unless you are really riding the snot out of him he should self regulate.
If you are riding snot out of him, you can mix your apple dex with malox or applesauce and just inject it like a wormer. on ride days. Scoops of salt can be rough on a horses stomach. maybe an ulcer issue and the salt is hurting his stomach.

Cowgirls Boots 07-26-2013 09:02 AM

125 Attachment(s)
He has two horse salt blocks that he eats sometimes in his stall and a salt AND mineral cow/horse blocks in his pasture. I never feed him scoops of salt in his grain. He isn't worked now but is covered in sweat when I get to the barn on hot days + drools alot from the slobbers.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 07-26-2013 09:22 AM

Yes the samples should be free. But I have to agree with Joe on this one. He probably doesn't need the extra electrolytes. Sweating when hot is normal. He shouldn't lose too much hydration in drool. As long as he has clean water available to him at all times he should be fine. Especially if he isn't worked he shouldn't need the extra. You can provide loose salt for him to eat freely if he wants.

Cowgirls Boots 07-26-2013 09:42 AM

125 Attachment(s)
Okay. Good to know. The vet recommended I take him out of the pasture with the clover because he may get dehydrated but I can't put him anywhere else which is why I put him on the lytes
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 07-26-2013 09:50 AM

He would have to drool buckets and then not drink anything. And I don't think drool is the same as sweat when it comes to losing needed nutrients. If he was being worked 5-7 days a week, at least a moderate workout, then I would consider it.

verona1016 07-26-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots (Post 3167610)
My horse loves every kind of food so I was a br shocked when he wasn't a fan of the Apple dex. And it was weird that after a week he started protesting eating them. Also, nothing else was different about his feed besides the electrolytes and once I took them out he was back eatin like normal.

My horse is the same way when he doesn't like something in his feed. He'll just suddenly stop eating it one day. Once it was his cough supplement (which I'm surprised he ever ate... it smells awful), another time too much salt, another time too much ground flax. I'm always checking his feeder to make sure he's still happy and I don't need to take something out!

existentialpony 07-26-2013 04:52 PM

Call them up, they'll send you about a 3-day sample, totally free. :) My horse is relatively picky and ate up his samples fine!