The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Mounting bareback (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mounting-bareback-24139/)

Ne0n Zero 03-11-2009 02:40 PM

Mounting bareback

Lmao. What is the easiest way? My horse won't let me swing up by grabbing mane and running/jumping up anymore, he tries to bite me x)
Plus I kind of fail at it most of the time.

So, any other ways I could go about this?

Spastic_Dove 03-11-2009 02:42 PM

I use fences, logs, mounting blocks...anything I can stand onto and slide on gently instead of flopping on.

Ne0n Zero 03-11-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 268068)
I use fences, logs, mounting blocks...anything I can stand onto and slide on gently instead of flopping on.

That's what I usually do, but I've been caught in places where I couldn't find anything to step up onto. :|

Spastic_Dove 03-11-2009 02:52 PM

Ugh. Yeah. I dunno what you do than lol. I've climbed trees to get on... but sometimes you're just stuck. Hopefully someone has a trick!
My horse is small and I cant even leap on.

smrobs 03-11-2009 04:57 PM

Sometimes if I can get my horses standing downhill from me, that gives me just enough of an advantage to be able to swing up. Other than that, I have to lead them to somewhere that has something to climb on. I have even used a barbed wire fence to climb on (dangerous). Someday, I would like to teach my Perch to kneel down on cue so I can get on.

rosie9r 03-11-2009 04:58 PM

I have to use something to climb on also, when I rode a 13.2 paso bareback, I still needed something to climb on hehe. No swinging up for me either!

I would say if you cant get up there from the ground all the time, just keep practicing. Its ok if you dont make it all the time, just keep trying. I would nip the biting in the bud though. You could do some standing like you are about to swing up and if he tries to bite, correct him a few times.

or you could teach him to kneel down like a camel :) hehe ;)

wanderlust 03-11-2009 07:37 PM

can you really teach a horse to kneel so you can get on??? is it too much stress on them?

smrobs 03-11-2009 07:50 PM

It is possible to do yes. I have just never tried to do it before so it remains to be seen whether I can get it to work or not. LOL. It can be a little harder for them to get up with you on them but it doesn't hurt them unless they fall back down. I don't know about the smaller daintier breeds like tb and arab but all mine are very stocky and strong so I don't think it will be that hard for them. If I get it done, I will definitely get some video and post it. It would be so cool to get my 2000 lb 18hh perch to do it. ;p

LeahKathleen 03-11-2009 10:29 PM

I've had trouble getting up bareback, especially with my mare. She just scoots away before I get a chance to jump, heh.

I used to ride this big, stocky, palomino quarter horse, Shorty, and I would take a running start and vault up onto his back, lol. And he was tall too. But he was so cool, he'd just stand quiet and then when you were up, he'd kind look over his shoulder like, "You up there yet?" He's the horse I learned to bareback on, and every time I fell, he'd stop and look at me like, "What are you doing on the ground? I thought we we're riding..."

He was so funny.

RIP, sweet ShortyHorse.

brookelovesparelli 03-12-2009 12:04 AM

i use the 'getting the horse to stand on lower ground than me' some times that works. Or the other time i use is rocks in the paddock. at the place were i ride there are massive rock formations so i just stand on a medium size rock works for me lol :D