The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Get in the horse trailer!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/get-horse-trailer-24184/)

Hillviewfarm 03-12-2009 04:55 PM

Get in the horse trailer!!!

Long time no write.
Its been awhile since I have been on here.
But I have ran into a problem...
A friend of mine recently just came to my barn and she is trying to get her horse out of the old barn but the only problem is...
Her horse will not load into the trailer.
Can anyone give me any tips so I can give them to her and help her out please??
Thanks tons!
Stephanie <3

Dumas'_Grrrl 03-12-2009 05:01 PM

To me loading on a trailer is just another form of leading the horse. Without knowing what the horse is doing, I'm going to suggest that she picks up this month's horse & rider magazine. John Lyons had a great article about trailer loading complete with pictures and tips.

satrider 03-12-2009 05:32 PM

You can watch RFD TV and maybe one of the shows will have something on trailer loading-the Horse shows come on every night from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m. central time. Or like mentioned above, get Horse and Rider's last issue. It would really take some time to fully describe it here and without knowing what the exact problem is, it is hard to tell. You'll need a whip of some sort to tap her on the hip to go forward. But if the horse doesn't know those cues you'll have to teach him that first.

PaintHorseMares 03-12-2009 06:00 PM

It really depends on whether the horse is afraid to go in the trailer or just doesn't want to go in. If afraid, the methods mentioned in prior posts are the way to go, but it takes time and patience. If the horse just doesn't want to load, a good swat on the butt with a broom will usually just about make them jump in, but be careful you're not in the way.

bilyeuamber 03-12-2009 06:14 PM

The best way to work on getting a horse into a trailer is to get the trailer there. When the horse refuses to get into the trailer, lunge him in a few circles. Then try it again. Make him realize that every time he refuses to get in the trailer that he has to work. He will soon realize that it will be easier to get into the trailer than to work. I would not use treats or grain to bribe him into the trailer. A horse doesnt think, they remember. And if he remembers that he gets treats and grain to get in the trailer, he wont load without it and that is a bad habit to start. This method has worked for many many horses that I have worked with terrible trailer loading problems. Now my horses will literally load themselves!

Spirithorse 03-12-2009 07:07 PM

It all depends on if the horse is afraid or if he is just saying "Nope, not goin in!" That will dictate what strategy you use. Parelli made an excellent trailer loading DVD that would be helpful.

Flyinghigh12 03-12-2009 11:52 PM

do u have any info on what the horse does when she tries to load him?

Britt 03-13-2009 12:30 AM

Can't help ya, but I'm gonna watch this thread... I have a mare who is scared to go in the trailer, lol, so maybe I can also pick up something here...

Curly_Horse_CMT 03-13-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britt (Post 269135)
Can't help ya, but I'm gonna watch this thread... I have a mare who is scared to go in the trailer, lol, so maybe I can also pick up something here...

Have you ever tried "self loading" your mare? I have a paint mare that is afraid/clausterphobic of small, tight spaces and hates straight load trailers. I have gotten her to load with the self loading method. It is less dangerous of her as for me. John Lyons is really great at this teqnique...you can look him up on that if you are interested.

randiekay215 03-13-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilyeuamber (Post 268808)
The best way to work on getting a horse into a trailer is to get the trailer there. When the horse refuses to get into the trailer, lunge him in a few circles. Then try it again. Make him realize that every time he refuses to get in the trailer that he has to work. He will soon realize that it will be easier to get into the trailer than to work. I would not use treats or grain to bribe him into the trailer. A horse doesnt think, they remember. And if he remembers that he gets treats and grain to get in the trailer, he wont load without it and that is a bad habit to start. This method has worked for many many horses that I have worked with terrible trailer loading problems. Now my horses will literally load themselves!

That's exactly what I was going to suggest!! When I went to pick Bandit up to take him home they had "forgotten" to mention he had never been loaded before...Long story short, he figured out that he got to rest in the trailer instead of working outside of it. So I would suggest lunging him in circles and then trying to load..If he doesn't load up, do it all over again. It really worked for me. Also, you could try to load a "seasoned" horse first as an example and see if the other horse will follow.....Just a couple ideas.