The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Melanie Smith Taylor (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/melanie-smith-taylor-24188/)

brittx6x6 03-12-2009 05:27 PM

Melanie Smith Taylor

So I applied for the USHJA emerging athletes and I am one of 8 selected to train at the 3' 6" level and I am sooo happy. Melanie Smith Taylor is conducting the session and I am very nervous because of how amazing she is! I was wondering if anyone has ever ridden with her or audited one of her clinics? I dont know anyone who has ridden with her so I dont know what to expect.

xx chico 03-12-2009 08:18 PM

Unfortunatly I have never had the experience to work with her, but please inform me on how it goes!

& congrats by the way :D

upnover 03-13-2009 12:28 AM

CONGRATS!!!! That is a huge deal and a fantastic opportunity! I wish they had that program when I was young enough to apply! Sorry, haven't ridden with Melanie but it should be a really really great experience. Please tell us all about it!

Just curious, what is the application process? I know you have to fill out an application but do they have try outs or do you send a video?

Hoofprints in the Sand 03-14-2009 08:46 AM

WOW, congrats! :-)

brittx6x6 03-14-2009 03:25 PM

ok ill be sure to let you know how it goes! unfortunately right now I am in a rush to find a horse to take because my horse is off and we don't know why because it was very random so he is headed to the vets tomorrow and if they cannot find out what is wrong than i have less than 3 weeks to find a horse for me to take :(!

And Upnover the process was where you sent in an application of questions and achievements of your past year. Another girl at my barn applied and did not make it so I am guessing that they looked at where you want to go in your future and the references that you used. You did not have to submit anything on your horse but you did have to provide what shows and placings you recieved in the past year.

ScarlettPompey 03-17-2009 06:25 AM

Congratulations! What an amazing opportunity! If you have the time please update us with useful tips and techniques you pick up - would love to hear about about.

brittx6x6 03-17-2009 05:45 PM

Thanks ScarlettPompey! I plan on video taping the whole thing and I will put parts of it up for you guys! I'm sooo excited but unfortunately my horse is injured so I am still not sure what horse I'm taking so my riding life is sooo hectic!

xx chico 03-17-2009 06:59 PM

Aww, I hope the vet figures out what the problem is with your horse. If they don't good luck on finding one to take. :wink:

ScarlettPompey 03-19-2009 05:54 AM

I bet! Isn't it just typical the timing on these things! Hope your horse has a speedy recovery.

jchunterjumper 03-26-2009 07:28 PM

wow, you are so lucky. Kinda going off on a tangent--I was looking into applying, but thought that it was unfair for 2 reasons. One is that the closest program was very far away (OK, that isnt anyones fault), But the other reason was that there was no way that I could get in because my horse and I dont go to many recognized shows (like AA). My horse is good enough, I just dont have the money (Parents bought expensive horse, daughter has to pay for shows! grrrr) I know that I have way more heart and soul than many of my friends that show all year on the A curcuit. I just dont think that they really are funair in their selecting process. Nothing personal at all!!! ANYWAYS way to go! and no, I have never trained with her, but I am sure that it will be an amazing experience, I am super jelous!