The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   hackamore vs. bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hackamore-vs-bit-24226/)

mattanittaallen 03-13-2009 08:26 AM

hackamore vs. bit

I would like to go to a hackamore with my high bred tall aqha mare. She is a bit high strung and doesn't like the bit. I wonder do you think it'll be a difficult :D:Dtransition with her temperment or could it be just the ticket?

Ne0n Zero 03-13-2009 08:34 AM

It depends on how she reacts to nose pressure. Some like it, some hate it. Hacks can be a lot more severe than bits so be sure your hands are very light.

mattanittaallen 03-13-2009 08:50 AM

thank you I think I'll try it. you are right on the light hands. It just takes a tap tap, not a yank jerk!

kitten_Val 03-13-2009 08:58 AM

My hyper paint hates nose pressure and prefers the bit. You can try sidepull rather then hackamore - it gives less pressure on the nose. However if she does NOT have a good stop in her sidepull (and could be hackamore too) is not the best way to go.

iridehorses 03-13-2009 09:00 AM

What kind of bit are you using and what is it made of? How long have you had him and what did he have when you got him? How old is he, and what kind of training has he had?

Many horses dislike a bit because of the material it's made from, his training, and his rider. A well trained horse will go well with a string in his mouth and I believe that should be the goal of his trainer/rider. My go-to bit is a simple thick, Billy Allen mouth piece snaffle made with sweet iron. If any horse I buy/train does not go with that, then there is a hole in his training that I need to work on.

I also use a shanked Bill Allen but that is for showing and finished cow work - but 90% of the time it's a snaffle.