The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   English riding critique? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/english-riding-critique-242361/)

SamBadger 07-27-2013 05:36 PM

English riding critique?

I was wondering if you could possibly critique my riding. The first video shows old riding from 2011 and 2012 I think, maybe some from 2010, the dates are on the video in the bottom left hand corner, I added these just for a comparison but would like you to critique the second video please.
The second video shows my ride from today, I've made the video into clips so that it's not so long, it shows my trot (posting and sitting), walk, canter and some trot poles.

So far, I can see that
-I lean back way too far in the sitting trot and also into the canter a bit, but not so bad as sitting trot.
-My elbows could be more relaxed and bent sometimes
-I think I'm tense in my shoulders but I'm not too sure.

But I feel that my leg is more secure and my seat is better too. I hope I've improved my canter because I had a lot of problems with that a year and a half ago and now I am completely comfortable and happy with it.

Have I shown any progression since the old videos (I hope so).
and would you be able to tell me what I'm doing right and wrong in my new video please?

Please do not critique the horse, hes not mine he's the riding schools. I'm the only person who really rides him as he isn't really a riding school horse, he's about 15hh I think, hes about 22 and his name Is Eric, hes a lovely horse, can be spooky or lazy but generally hes a lovely ride. (could anyone take a guess at his, or the dapple greys breeds, I'd love to know peoples ideas, I have no idea)

Thank you so much and be as harsh as you want, I will listen and try everything suggested.

Old riding video
New riding video

(I couldn't figure out the whole posting video thing, so here are the links, I hope you can see them. Just click on the title of the video to take you to youtube)

MyBoyPuck 07-27-2013 05:38 PM

I see boxes, but no video to play.

SamBadger 07-27-2013 05:44 PM

Is there a title on top of the boxes?

Lx3 07-27-2013 05:45 PM

"Video currently unavailable"
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 07-27-2013 05:46 PM

Says "New riding video 27-07-2013 Youtube"

SamBadger 07-27-2013 05:46 PM

One of them is still not quite finished processing on youtube so could that be why?

SamBadger 07-27-2013 05:48 PM

If you click on the title above the box, it should take you to youtube but it has not finished processing so i'm not sure you can see it yet, it allows me to see it but says it is 90% finished processing. This technology confuses me.

EDIT- They should work now, if you click the title it should take you to youtube and you should be able to see, If not, I have no idea haha

konikirule 07-27-2013 05:53 PM

You look good, but one big problem is your leaning back. Try moving more with the horse at the canter, and your stirrups can definately go down a few holes. I think that's whats keeping you from sinking down into your stirrups. Also it will allow you to sit more on your crotch and keep your shoulders back and you will look great !

MyBoyPuck 07-27-2013 05:53 PM

Yep, that's it. Just gotta click on the title. Off to watch them now. Thanks for posting new videos. I'm at work today and bored. Everyone is out riding and few are inside posting.

SamBadger 07-27-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by konikirule (Post 3181177)
You look good, but one big problem is your leaning back. Try moving more with the horse at the canter, and your stirrups can definately go down a few holes. I think that's whats keeping you from sinking down into your stirrups. Also it will allow you to sit more on your crotch and keep your shoulders back and you will look great !

I'm so used to riding with shorter stirrups that when I have them longer I feel so strange but my normal Instructor always puts them down but she wasn't here today, I will try lengthening them next time I ride and see if that helps, i'll just have to get used to it :lol:, thank you for answering.