The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Need help for horse whispering project (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/need-help-horse-whispering-project-24241/)

Funkyhorse 03-13-2009 03:12 PM

Need help for horse whispering project

Im a student in college doing a project about horse whispering, but for my research i need YOUR help!

I would like your opinions on horse whispering, and any success stories on how it has helped abused horses. If you could give me any first-hand accounts on what you have done to help a horse using these methods i would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

:-)

chelssss(: 03-14-2009 09:58 AM

I love these topics! my thoroughbred was abused, starved, and neglected before i adopted him at a rescue. the farm he was raised at was complete turmoil. the man would only feed him and the other horses when he felt like it, and didnt train, ride, or even pay attention to him. and when he'd do something his owner didnt like, he'd beat him.
I strongly believe in natural horse "whispering". Of course you have to be a very patient person and you have to have the soft touch. Horses listen to baby talk. Its almost like they dont respond to just normal speaking that we do, i use baby talk with Bayberry. He responds and he makes eye contact with me, and it seems like he's listening, he moves his ears like he's trying to listen, so it works for me.

At the rescue, the owner Elle said he doesn’t listen to anyone in the saddle so be careful, he was known to fight and just be aggressive, and well what do you know, we walked, trotted and cantered, and jumped. and Elle told my dad he's NEVER listened to anyone like he had with me. and that told me that he could be helped, and not as scared. it took alot of bonding, we're still working on some things, but he's a perfect example, that everything is worth the time.

and what i did to gain his trust is kneel on the ground with treats or something in my hand, and i would move until he walked up to me. i talk, and do sweet talking to him and the moment when you know that he has trust in you is when he takes the food from your hand, you can touch him, and he can stay with you.

loosie 03-14-2009 10:08 PM

I'm gathering by 'horse whisperer' you mean horse *listener*?? That is, not someone that whispers sweet somethings into the horse's ear, but someone who has bothered to study equine behaviour & psychology to first understand them, then uses this, along with their respect and consideration FOR the horse, to teach it in a humane way to WANT to partner with humans & play our 'games'??

I first learned the basics of horse behaviour & how to be clear & respectful with them, with the help of Parelli, about 20 years ago. Since then I've learned from a number of different sources and studied behavioural psychology and practiced 'clicker training' among other methods. I see the underlying principles & philosophies as the important considerations, rather than the specific techniques, exercises, etc. While the specifics need to be adapted for different animals, personalities, attitudes, I have found the principles are constant and sound for whatever animal & situation.

I have worked with a lot of horses(among other species) over the years, including well trained, untouched/wild and damaged/abused horses. I've found the principles of first gaining their trust and friendship, using predominantly positive reinforcement(addition of Good Stuff, reward) training, being considerate & respectFUL of the horse and motivating it to WANT to join in is great for all horses. I suspect less considerate, positive methods often fall short with horses who have been abused or already have a bad attitude about things.

You will find plenty of examples on the net of 'natural horsemanship' or whatever you want to call it being successful with 'rogue' 'untrainable' 'vicious'.... horses. Most famous trainers have partnered with a few 'hopeless case' horses that everyone else had given up on. Parelli's first 'superhorse' was a stallion that had done the rounds before he took him on...

Not sure if this is what you're after, could go on... & on<G> so you might want to be more specific.

aruraeclipse 03-23-2009 03:08 PM

If you take the time to do it right it takes less time :)

girl_on_black_pony 03-23-2009 07:22 PM

Quality, not quanity of workouts :D