The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   OK, lets talk Seat Savers for people with less padding in their bum ;) (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/ok-lets-talk-seat-savers-people-242417/)

Horsesaplenty 07-27-2013 06:19 PM

OK, lets talk Seat Savers for people with less padding in their bum ;)

I'm a petite gal at 106 and barely 5'2". I have sharp butt bones when sitting, as I wasn't blessed with a whole lot of padding back there ;) and they get sore after some miles in the saddle. Also the insides of my knees get small bruises and soreness. I rode 11 miles yesterday at mostly a walk and some trotting and there is a small bruise on the lower inside of each knee and soreness. I rode in my irideon topline tights with kneepatches...which were very nice to have on :)

What kind of seat saver for cushion do y'all recommend and should I just get a sheepskin cover for my stirrup leathers?

grayshell38 07-28-2013 12:46 PM

5' 2" and 108 lb here. I bought sheepskin for my seat and my leathers. Though I have been riding a greenie and found the sheepskin to be a bit slippery for riding out his antics, so i took it off. My saddle has a hard seat, but I have not had an issue yet with being sore.

I used to get rubs on my calf from the leathers, so the sheepskin has helped a ton.

You can see my set up here kind of.

https://sphotos-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/h...28101956_n.jpg

Boo Walker 07-28-2013 02:48 PM

My favorite saddle is an old Bona Allen hard-seat. While it was no problem when I was younger, my old arse definitely appreciates the Cashel seat saver cushion. It's secure and doesn't slip around which is important for those sudden "oh look- a unicorn!" moments my horse is prone to. As for the bruising inside your knee, it sounds like you may be gripping too much with your knees. Periodically as you ride try to think of your legs as a soft noodle draped around the shape of your horse.

PaintHorseMares 07-28-2013 02:50 PM

^^^ My wife has a Cashel and likes it, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesaplenty 07-28-2013 06:47 PM

Thanks. I think sometimes I do grip a little hard, but I'm boney there too :) thought maybe some merino wool covers might help them not be so sore.
Posted via Mobile Device

DuckDodgers 07-28-2013 08:19 PM

Ooh, I'm definitely interested to see what folks have to say! I'm another one of those small and bony butt people, so my seat starts to hurt if I'm in the saddle for a few hours. I've thought about getting a seat saver, but I don't want to sacrifice security with something slippery!

Joe4d 07-28-2013 09:48 PM

Ride more, your butt will toughen up. I dont like them either. feel to far removed from the horse.

Celeste 07-28-2013 11:14 PM

Or just live until you pass age 40. Your butt will round out on its own.

Horsesaplenty 07-28-2013 11:40 PM

But I ride a bunch already..they still hurt, lol. I have a close contact saddle; my horse would probably like for me to have some padding between he and I ;)

phantomhorse13 07-29-2013 08:57 AM

I have a full sheepskin cover on Dream's saddle and it is the best thing ever - unless it rains. If it rains, its like riding sitting on a giant sponge (ick!!). But when its not raining, it provides enough comfort without being bulky or hot or feeling like I can't feel the horse any more.

The torsion doesn't have any cover and I was actually having trouble with the stirrup leathers making my half chaps twist around (a first for that but holy aggravating).. so I think sheepskin covers for the stirrups are in my future.

Haven't had a chance to get the new Wintec on Gamer yet, as the day it arrived she decided she would rather have an abscess than ride.. so I am anxiously awaiting seeing how that saddle feels!!