The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Craziest analogies your instructor has made (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/craziest-analogies-your-instructor-has-made-242601/)

Collegialequestrian 07-28-2013 12:38 AM

Craziest analogies your instructor has made

I'm writing an article for HorseNation and wanted to crowdsource my research a bit since I'm sure there are some doozies out there.

What is the craziest analogy your instructor has ever made? Things like: "wrap your legs around and squeeze like a tube of toothpaste," "point your hips forward like laser beams" etc

SorrelHorse 07-28-2013 12:43 AM

LOL

She tells me my boobs are headlights. That's to keep my upper body lined up for equitation.

"Gotta keep your headlights straight where you wanna go! Otherwise you'll be riding blind!"

:lol:

jinxremoving 07-28-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 3184273)
LOL

She tells me my boobs are headlights. That's to keep my upper body lined up for equitation.

"Gotta keep your headlights straight where you wanna go! Otherwise you'll be riding blind!"

:lol:

Yep! I had an instructor who used that analogy a lot with me too when I first started riding.

She always said it was a force of habit since all her other students were girls, but I said it still applied to me anyway ... it's just mine are still developing and seem to be taking forever to come in! ;(

Incitatus32 07-28-2013 10:31 PM

When the lesson instructor out at our barn gives lessons she always tells the kids learning how to canter: "Use your butt and paint the saddle!" to teach them to move with the horse! :)

waresbear 07-28-2013 10:47 PM

Dance with your horse, do dirty dancing!

BlueDiamonds218 07-28-2013 10:56 PM

When i was in college my instructor had the hardest time making me "scoop" my butt at the lope/canter i kept pinning my butt into the back of the saddle and would stay there motionless even at the trot! So he said very nicely... have you ever had sex?.... nervously i said.... yes.... so he said you know the motion of sex well apply it to loping/ cantering so i did and off i was "scooping" my seat to the motion of the horse! lol

QuietHeartHorses 07-28-2013 11:23 PM

"Keep your legs on Riley's barrel like you are trying to keep a beach ball between your legs."

"Sit up straight, shoulders back, like Superman."

"Keep your headlights aimed forward." Apparently it's popular among trainers.

Skyseternalangel 07-29-2013 03:16 AM

"The reins should feel like an apple in the hand when you're done, right now they're glass milk jugs" lol..

existentialpony 07-29-2013 04:15 AM

On driving with your seat...

"Pretend that I implanted a metal rod that runs from your hip bone to your seat bone on each side, and your saddle has huuuuge magnets on each side that I can dial up or down. Now trot on... I'm turning the magnet up on the left side! Turning it up!"

Thought that one was so darn bizarre yet effective!

HorseOfCourse 07-29-2013 09:16 AM

It's not an analogy, but I took a lesson with a guest trainer at my regular lesson place and something she told the students was "Put your crack in the tack" to get us to keep out butts where they should be (western)
Posted via Mobile Device