The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB boots

9K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  toosleepy 
#1 ·
I have heard so many conflicting opinions on SMB boots. Some say they're great, some say they constrict blood flow, etc.etc. What do you think?

:?:How are the Pro's Choice SMB boots compared to similar brands?

:?:What is the benefit (if any) of booting all four legs instead of just the front?

:?:What activities/types of riding are the SMB best for(great for some, useless for others)?

:?:What is the difference between the SMB II, the SMB III, and the SMB Elite?

Thanks for the opinions!!!!

#2 ·
Well I don't like them because they
A) they don't seem to let the fetlock move enough
B) I would not use them for any type of jumping at all
C) I don't like boots that are supportive because the horse becomes reliable on them, and if you don't use them once your horse is alot more liable to injury.

#3 ·
I have heard so many conflicting opinions on SMB boots. Some say they're great, some say they constrict blood flow, etc.etc. What do you think?

You can get great knockoffs or crap knockoffs, depends on what brand you get.

:?:What is the benefit (if any) of booting all four legs instead of just the front?
If you are doing strenuous exercise I would recommend booting all 4. I'm talking rollbacks, or any activity that strains the hind tendons as well as the front.

:?:What activities/types of riding are the SMB best for(great for some, useless for others)?
Great for flatwork, I haven't jumped in them. They are very supportive. I would not suggest using them for cross-country, especially drop-downs. When a horse is first learning to do drop-downs, or doesn't know how to jump them properly, then can stop at the top and slide their front legs against the rail all the way down. I would recommend a hard shell boot for this. Likewise for trail riding for the same reason, but in case you encounter logs... also I can't imagine burrs being fun to remove from the cloth.

Thanks for the opinions!!!!
The responses I felt confident giving are above in blue.

#4 ·
I use SMB II's on my mare (fronts only) when we trail ride. I use them for just about every time we go riding because we ride up in the mountains so much... She's so much more willing to go through thick brush and briars now that she has some form of protection on her legs.

#6 ·
How are the Pro's Choice SMB boots compared to similar brands?

I personally only like Pro Choice or Classic Equine Legacy. The Pro Choice Elites and the Classic Equine's are fairly similar. The Pro Choice don't breath as much but they are a little sturdier built IMO. The CE are nice because they breathe but they sacrafice the thickness and sturdiness.

What is the benefit (if any) of booting all four legs instead of just the front?

If you aren't going to be doing strenuous work, booting the front two is fine. If you are going to be doing things that are more difficult and strenuous I would boot all four. Really depends on what you're going to be doing and how much support you're going.

What activities/types of riding are the SMB best for(great for some, useless for others)?

I use mine for medium/heavy work outs, showing, trail riding...

What is the difference between the SMB II, the SMB III, and the SMB Elite?

The II's are the most basic model. They aren't very fitted and they are a little harder to find the perfect place for them to fit on the leg. The fetlock strap is a little sturdier than the Elites IMO. The III's are like a melding of the II's and the Elites. They are cut more like the Elites but have the same fetlock strap as the II's. They are also made out of the same material as the Elites (breathes more than the materials used in the II's). The Elites are the most lightweight and breathable. They are also a little bit more fitted than the III's and the fetlock strap is different. If you are buying a new set of boots I would go with the III's or the Elites.

#7 ·
Onetoomany summed it up pretty good. I have used SMB II's for many years and loved them. I just recently made the switch to Classic Equine legacy boots because they breathe more and do not retain so much sweat within the boot. In my opinion, if you are going to be doing any strenuous activity with your horse then I would think about using them.

#9 ·

While I have majority of Pro Choice, I do have a pair of Legacy. I find the Legacy thinner. I have never used Pegasus, but I have heard allot of good things about them. The Pro Choice are thicker and heavier.

I boot the fronts usually, but if I do CC over fences that do not knock down - I will boot all 4. Aside from that, I only usually do only the fronts.

I boot the fronts when I jump, because our horses take allot of strain and allot
of shock when they jump - so why not aid in preserving and preventing? That is why I use SMB's on my Super Hero.

Anything that is strenuous. Polo, Fox Hunting, Stadium, Reining, Cutting, Penning, Barrel Racing, Gymkanna - etc, etc, tec.

I DO NOT use my SMB's for Dressage/Flat work or for Hacking/Trail Riding. I like to allow my horses legs to condition and strengthen thorugh this.

The SMB II are a longer boot - from below the knee to past the ankles, where the Elites are shorter, freeing the ankle for movement and flexion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.