The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   English saddle help please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-saddle-help-please-243025/)

Chickenoverlord 07-28-2013 03:27 PM

English saddle help please

Okay, long story short I need a saddle to ride endurance with, but I'm on a budget. Des anyone have info on 20th century brand saddles, and are any of these worth the money? These are all saddles I'm considering.
Saddle A: 17 1/2" 20th Century English Saddle
Saddle B: 17" English hunt seat saddle
Saddle C: 17" English Saddle

unclearthur 07-29-2013 07:37 AM

The first is old, the second narrow fit and the third is a cheap Indian saddle.

If you're on a budget why not consider a used synthetic - Wintec or Thorowgood? At least you know you're getting a decent quality tree plus adjustable gullet, with the Wintec if not necessarily the Thorowgood?

Chickenoverlord 07-31-2013 11:37 AM

I am currently riding in a wintec 500 all purpose, and no matter how I adjust it it causes a pressure point on my horses right shoulder. He is somewhat asymmetrical as he was previosly used as a barrel horse, and nothing else. Old does not bother me, as long as it works. today I am trying out a derby originals ultimate show close contact saddle, that fit him when I sat it on his back. It appears to be in good condition, nice, soft flocking and new billets, the leather is not te nicest but it's not crappy. Any experience with this brand?

unclearthur 07-31-2013 03:09 PM

I'm afraid not.

Sounds if the Wintec needs a flock adjust. The problem with any saddle is you can't expect it to fit simply because the tree's the correct width, unfortunately. The panel shape is just as important :)

Chickenoverlord 08-03-2013 01:46 PM

Itried the derby original, WORST SADDLE EVER. Te seat was hard, it rubbed my hrse, and the leather was so thick I couldn't use my seat at all!