The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riding the jog?

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  MoonlightMystique 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've been riding my whole life and recently went to watch some western horse shows. I found out that your apparently supposed to sit deep in the saddle and not move. The way I was taught to ride was that when I was little I was thrown on a horse and told to figure it out. The way I ride is that I catch myself every other beat like they do in English. When actually working on horseback it seems to make more sense catching yourself. How do you guys ride? Does anybody else ride like me? Maybe that's just what they do while showing the horse? I'm a bit confused....
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
You're supposed to sit the jog in western because, along with style, the stirrups and your leg are supposed to be long, and posting in that position and a western saddle is quite awkward ... I find, at least, not sure about anyone else. When I ride my horses western, which isn't as often anymore, I do post, just because both of my horses have such a large trot and I find it difficult to sit. When you're showing western, you are expected to sit your jog.

#3 ·
A jog should not be a real forward trot. A good forward trot makes posting easy, but a nice easy jog is easier to sit. You don't want to 'sit there and not move' though, as any stiffness will actually block some of the horse's movement. When sitting a jog (or even a trot), you will feel one hip (both the horse's and yours) move forward and then the other. Go with it, keep your hips loose and try to relax. I LOVE a nice jog!

#4 ·
Back when western riding was this:

Henry Lyman, range boss of the LS, looking across the panhandle country. LS Ranch, Texas, 1907

Erwin E. Smith Collection Guide | Collection Guide

posting would have been tough. Even at a canter, the deep seat (with cantles that sometimes were over 6" high) meant you moved your hip by flexing back and forth thru the angle formed at your waist:

It still works, but saddles and riding styles have changed since 1900. While the style above is more extreme than normally seen in western riding, the relaxed, free moving jog and lope were probably born when most men rode like this.

Mia has a pee-poor canter, although it is slowly improving. However, she has always known how to do a light jog. It covers ground a little faster than a quick walk, seems efficient for her, and feels great to ride. It would be almost impossible to post, though, because there really isn't any force to push you up out of the saddle. It is more of a side to side jiggle.

#6 ·
I learned how to post when I was young in my lessons, even though I was at a western barn and rode with a western saddle. It is a good skill to learn, but I think an efficient rider should learn to sit most trots, aside from the absolute worst. Also, transitioning into a canter while posting is confusing for a green horse. Thusly I have learned with my horse how to sit his biggest trot before getting him to canter. But ideally the jog is a nice and easy gait, comfortable and ground covering. It shouldn't be hard to sit, but it might take some practice to wrap your head around sitting deep. My seat while trotting is probably the only thing I've ever been complemented on, so probably the only riding I can give any advice on, although I don't have much formal schooling in the subject.

#7 ·
Thanks for your reply's. From what you have all said I'm thinking that maybe none of my horses have a nice slow jog because every time I try to ride like you guys say I bounce terribly :/ and there's tons of force pushing me up making posting so easy...any ideas on how to slow down a jog so it's nice and easy without returning to a walk?
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
It is tough to teach a jog to a horse if you don't know how to sit one yet. Can you find a trained horse to ride and learn to sit the jog a time or two? Once you know what the horse is supposed to be doing and feel like, teaching a horse who doesn't know what you're talking about is at least theoretically possible.

Essentially, to teach a horse to jog, you want to do two things- keep them moving (using that rear end), but keep them from plowing forward. If the horse is used to walk-trot-walk, he will be confused at first when you ask him to slow his trot and will break down to a walk. Ask him to move forward again when that happens. Rinse, repeat until he gets the idea that you're asking for 'slow' NOT gait change. That the rough version anyway. Seems to be working on my guy, though he'd still rather trot than jog if given a choice.

#10 ·
Are you bracing yourself in the saddle at all? If you are then you will bounce. I put very little pressure in my stirrups and relax my body. If you are at all tense or stiff you will bounce. Relax and don't brace and see if that helps. The only time I post is at a faster trot unless I'm going into a canter.

#11 ·
First, learn how to sit it yourself if you want better, quicker results, on a horse that is already trained to do so. I learned it just from lots and lots of riding on my gelding who is bred to have nice western pleasure gaits, not that he always does them, but he has the talent naturally. I use a regular snaffle, and lightly put pressure on one rein at a time, rhythmically, and lean back and say easy. Do this until the horse slows down, then let them on a loose rein. Once they get it, move on to the trot and do the same thing. (You can play with the walk until they are just barely poking along.) You have to be able to sit the trot when teaching them, no matter how fast they are going. Don't hold hard on the mouth, use your seat, and be clear with your commands. This is the method I use, but I've also heard of putting your horse out on a circle, and if they go fast, pull them into smaller and smaller circles until they slow down then letting them go out in the bigger circles. If they get fast again, pull them back in. Keep repeating until they figure it out. I've seen it used effectively, but I've never done it. If you're really interested in learning more, take some lessons and have fun with it. It's always nice to venture into different disciplines every once and a while. Really diversifies your riding abilities. Right now I am looking to start dressage lessons, and I think I'm going to in for a work out, but it would be worth it to improve myself. Good luck, and happy riding.

#13 ·
There's a common misconception that you cannot post in a western saddle. You can, in fact, post. I post quite a bit, and then sit and expect my horse to come back to a slow jog.

However, you should NEVER post the jog, especially in a show. Even the extended jog should not be posted.

#16 ·
Even though your horses may not give you a nice slow jog you can use that to practice your sitting trot. Sit up very straight with a slight arch to your back, relax your waist and use the area right above your hips as the body's shock absorber. Everywhere else on your body should be very still. When you need a
break, go ahead and post. There is nothing wrong with it for casual riding!

#17 ·
I have a western pleasure Arabian. I've been showing western for a year now and show bigger shows. With all my show experience I've noticed tips and tricks for the jog. First, move your hips side to side with the movement of your horse so each stride your horse takes you should move side to side. This helps slow your horse down if done correctly! If you slow your hip movement it will make your horse feel uncomfortable and match your pace! I wish you luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.