The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   I am addicted to Sorting (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/i-am-addicted-sorting-243385/)

OutOfTheLoop 07-28-2013 10:44 PM

I am addicted to Sorting

6 Attachment(s)
I starting playing around a little last year, and went to two clinics with my horse. It was fun, and we both had a blast learning how to sort cows. This year I decided to try and do some competitions. We did our first one last weekend, and we did good, but didn't place. I wasn't expecting much with it being our first time. I did get hooked up with some really good people, and they gave me some good pointers and advice. My horse came up sore after the competition, so I was offered to ride a loaner from one of the guys that mentors the newbies. We entered in a sorting yesterday, and ended up placing 3rd in Amataurs with 7 cows sorted in 1:06. I was proud of the time, even if the Pros were doing 10 cows in 38 seconds lol! I wore a GoPro, but am still unable to upload the video to youtube without crashing my computer. So I took some screenshots, and here they are for your viewing pleasure. I am on the roan horse wearing the camera for the most part. I did let a teammate wear it for one round but she didn't like the feel of it on her head so she took it off before we had all our go's.

waresbear 07-28-2013 10:51 PM

That does look addicting!

OutOfTheLoop 07-28-2013 10:55 PM

It is! I just found some really good pics on facebook ill have to save and upload tommorow. Some that arnt from the top of my hat lol
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 07-28-2013 11:06 PM

Woot! Glad you're getting involved, sorting is good for you and your horse and it's a heck of a lot of fun.

OutOfTheLoop 07-28-2013 11:13 PM

Theres two places within 10 miles of me tha. Do it once a month each, so I feel lucky to be so close. I can also go to Bowling Green KY, which is about an hour from me, they do it once a month also. One place has a figure 8 setup with beef cattle, and this one uses an entire arena with longhorns. So it is a little different. Hope to go to BG soon and check it out as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Incitatus32 07-28-2013 11:33 PM

I'm soooo jealous! This is what my mare was born, bred, trained and loves to do! Sadly I don't have any cows and know no one in my area that has any to sort! lol I make do with people who want to get in shape! ;) I would love to do this especially since it makes her so happy and I want her to enjoy her old age with something she loves doing! I how you had fun! :D

smrobs 07-29-2013 12:22 AM

OOTL, you are lucky to have access to sorting stuff so close to you.

Thankfully, we have cattle so I can get my cattle-sorting fix, but if I wanted to do any "official" sorting, I'd have to drive at least an hour one-way.

oliveoats 08-03-2013 04:31 PM

This looks so fun! Our barn manager has some cows about 5 miles away from the barn, you can get there by my trails. My Tennessee Walking Horse and I have played with llamas (his previous owner lived next door to a llama breeder and he would let us go move them a little), but he hasn't seen a cow yet.

My barn manager keeps urging me to go out with him and the quarter horses to play with them, he says the cowboys would get a kick out of my Walker out there cattle driving. For now I'm taking it slow getting him used to the cows through the fence, but I can't wait until I am confident enough to join them for a cattle drive!

boots 08-03-2013 07:37 PM

Have fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliveoats (Post 3247162)
My barn manager keeps urging me to go out with him and the quarter horses to play with them, he says the cowboys would get a kick out of my Walker out there cattle driving. For now I'm taking it slow getting him used to the cows through the fence, but I can't wait until I am confident enough to join them for a cattle drive!

TWHs are not uncommon out here on ranches. A quick search leads to a few sites of ranches in MT that use them and sell.

OutOfTheLoop 08-03-2013 08:12 PM

I have seen some twh sort cows in the figure 9 pens, I'm not sure how good they would do against the longhorns in the arenas though. Heck, there was a woman who did it on her pony in a dressage saddle. Anyone can do it, its always worth a shot
Posted via Mobile Device