The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Beginning Watercolor (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/beginning-watercolor-243802/)

tinyliny 07-29-2013 01:25 PM

Beginning Watercolor

1 Attachment(s)
I am starting a watercolor class. I really don't know how to use color, and how to handle the medium so thought I'd try to learn some techniques. I am going to post some of the work here, though while not equine art, it might amuse you all.

Attachment 241378

now, hopefully, I wont' ruin it when I put in the background!

xlionesss 07-29-2013 01:29 PM

oh my god..teach me!

tinyliny 07-29-2013 01:50 PM

first I gotta figure it out. I tend to paint like I am using pencils, and this is not what watercolors are about. in any case, I appreciate the compliment.

texasgal 07-29-2013 02:03 PM

You are one talented person ....

Muppetgirl 07-29-2013 02:16 PM

I love water colors and started with them very early on. Problem now is I have two kids running around and cannot focus long enough to 'plan'.

Love your hummingbird! Now you mentioned painting the background in. Rule #1 with water colors, WORK IN REVERSE!! LOL! what I do to preserve my whites and to get a nice flowy background that doesn't seemed 'painted around' my central focus (in your case the hummingbird) is I use masking fluid which is a liquid latex that I paint on dry watercolor paper on my whites and anything I wish to paint in after the background is in. So I lightly pencil my image on, paint the masking fluid on what I want to preserve, wash in my background, allow it to dry thoroughly then peel off the masking fluid and I have perfectly preserved whites etc.

Note - use an old brush as the masking will ruin it unless you dip it in a little water and make it damp before using the masking, then you should be able to just peel the masking of your brush:wink:

Muppetgirl 07-29-2013 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a watercolor I did maybe 6 years ago, I used a LOT of masking in this....it's my daughter:

Attachment 241386

Muppetgirl 07-29-2013 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's a quick dabble I did, no masking......the edges are certainly softer in this, but preserving the whites is tricky.Attachment 241394

Hmmm pears are upside down!!!

Muppetgirl 07-29-2013 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more note, I also use a color chart I made, I mixed all the possible color combinations (of two colors) because working with watercolor can go wrong very very fast, and mistakes are very difficult if not impossible to fix. I think watercolor is one of the hardest mediums to work with as it is so fluid and requires a load of forethought. It's definitely an underrated medium IMO.

Attachment 241402

tinyliny 07-29-2013 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think I should do that color chart. I bet it will be one of our homework assignments.

I did the hummingbird once already, doing the background first, but I did not like it, so thought I'd experiement with the other way around.

Attachment 241410

BlueSpark 07-29-2013 04:55 PM

I need to try this.