The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Looking for saddle suggestions.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/looking-saddle-suggestions-243938/)

MuGGzy 07-29-2013 04:22 PM

Looking for saddle suggestions..

I currently use a really plush Tucker, my wife says I am crazy to think I want something else but I am still at the lower end of "Intermediate" and I lose allot of confidence at any kind of speed in this saddle.

I have tried an Aussie saddle and LOVED the little "Thigh Wing Things" but don't care for the overall design, too much leather on the sides and the strap under my crotch was annoying.

I even went and asked a saddle shop if they could somehow ADD the "Wing Thingies" to my Tucker and the girl told me she could not (after looking at me like I was crazy).

I saw the Clinton Anderson saddles at one of his clinics and was infatuated with the combo of Western design, and the high back sat and "Wing Things" on it. However, I couldn't stomach paying even his "Limited Time Show Discount" prices.

Can anyone suggest brands or models that might be similar to the CA Saddle and give me Western style and cut and add the parts of the Aussie that allowed me to lock myself into the saddle better? Or even a name for what I am looking for because I really don't even know what to ask for when I try to describe this.

I did find these, but they don't look to have much in the padding dept for my desk sitting @$$, but they are very similar to what I envision.

Down Under Crossover Saddle with Horn

JustDressageIt 07-29-2013 04:33 PM

Have you heard of bucking rolls? They add some thigh support, though I don't know how much you need or want.
Also, CA's saddle isn't an original - it's a western style Australian saddle. I know even Wintec comes with the "wing things" you're talking about, at least the one I saw which was the hornless model, so you don't need to spend insane amounts of $$ for a western Aussie saddle.

Saskia 07-30-2013 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What is rather popular here (Australia) at the moment are "halfbreed" saddles. They have the knee rolls (thigh wing things) but are built on a western tree and have swinging fenders instead of full length flaps. They vary a little as to what attributes are derived from a western or a stock, with some with a more "flattish" western seat and others with a more english/stock seat. Here their prices vary with synthetic ones around $700 and custom ones costing thousands - and all the ones in between. Perhaps consider looking for one this type?

Attached is a picture of my old mare in a friend's custom halfbreed I was trying on

Saddlebag 07-30-2013 10:45 AM

Google bucking rolls and see if those would work. They can be added to your Tucker.