The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Which Fly Spray Works Best??!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/fly-spray-works-best-24409/)

SamboStar 03-16-2009 06:34 PM

Which Fly Spray Works Best??!?

So, we've used the Farnam Bronco fly spray fro the past year, and I've seen that there isn't much of an improvement. Still head tossing, angry tail swishing and irritated stomping.
My BFF said that the Absorbine Ultra-Shield works best, but its like $15 - $20:shock:. I'm going to need it for this summer...there's gonna be TONS of flys at Fair!

What is everyone else's opinions on fly spray? :?:

cowgirlfitzy 03-17-2009 09:44 AM

pyrahana (I don't know if I spelled that right) Works great. It is oil based tho so will attract dust, so I wouldn't use it at a show or anything. Farnam Gold (its one step better then the bronco) works well too. I think you can get those both for around $14.00

toosleepy 03-17-2009 09:50 AM

I use Flysect super 7 and it works great. i also use yard guard fogger too, really helps get those bugs that aren't affected by other fly sprays. It really works great before you go into showmanship or halter where you really need them to stand still.

BriocheIsLove 03-17-2009 02:12 PM

I personaly like Pyranha. I get the water based one so it doesnt put any harsh cemicals on my horse. It's great and I used it all last summer. It repels and kills tons of differnt flies. And it smells good ;-)

JHickie 03-17-2009 03:42 PM

I have to say, I have used all kinds of stuff over the years and I now swear by Absorbine UltraShield in the black bottle. It's not cheap, but if you want something to work well, it generally costs a bit more than the others. I've been using it for a good 10 years now and love it. I use it at home on the pasture horses and find it lasts for a couple days on them. I use it at the shows when the bugs are bad and don't find that it attracts dust. Good stuff.

Vidaloco 03-17-2009 04:18 PM

I've used many different ones. Several years ago the Bronco worked great then it didn't work so great :-( Then I tried pyranha which again worked great at first then not so great. Also Horse and Pony spray, Flicks, Ultrashield and many others that I don't remember :lol:
I finally figured out that the flys adapt to the insecticides. Read the article under Auto mist http://www.horseforum.com/auto-mist/...choices-23693/
I decided to just continually mix it up, using different sprays all the time so my fly fiends can't adapt.

SamboStar 03-17-2009 10:35 PM

Ha, too funny Vida!
I've heard that scented horse shampoos actually attract flys....I don't know if that applies to sweet-smelling fly sprays.
Thanks for the tips, guys! Much appreciated!

orangetictac 03-18-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vidaloco (Post 271837)
I've used many different ones. Several years ago the Bronco worked great then it didn't work so great :-( Then I tried pyranha which again worked great at first then not so great. Also Horse and Pony spray, Flicks, Ultrashield and many others that I don't remember :lol:
I finally figured out that the flys adapt to the insecticides. Read the article under Auto mist http://www.horseforum.com/auto-mist/...choices-23693/
I decided to just continually mix it up, using different sprays all the time so my fly fiends can't adapt.

Yup...it's just like wormers.

Dumas'_Grrrl 03-18-2009 01:53 PM

We actually ended up putting Apple Cider Vinegar in the horse's water and using a fly spray only when riding.

I was amazed how well the ACV really worked. It takes a couple weeks for it to get all through the horses' system but I really did notice fewer flies throughout the summer.

I think it has to do with the ACV eventually ends us making the poo less desirable for the flies too......so they don't hang out on the poo as much so maybe there are just less flies in general.

girl_on_black_pony 03-18-2009 04:16 PM

Garlic through feed also helps.