The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Fly Spray Works Best??!?

9K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  cowgirlfitzy 
#1 ·
So, we've used the Farnam Bronco fly spray fro the past year, and I've seen that there isn't much of an improvement. Still head tossing, angry tail swishing and irritated stomping.
My BFF said that the Absorbine Ultra-Shield works best, but its like $15 - $20:shock:. I'm going to need it for this summer...there's gonna be TONS of flys at Fair!

What is everyone else's opinions on fly spray? :?:

#4 ·
I personaly like Pyranha. I get the water based one so it doesnt put any harsh cemicals on my horse. It's great and I used it all last summer. It repels and kills tons of differnt flies. And it smells good ;-)

#5 ·
I have to say, I have used all kinds of stuff over the years and I now swear by Absorbine UltraShield in the black bottle. It's not cheap, but if you want something to work well, it generally costs a bit more than the others. I've been using it for a good 10 years now and love it. I use it at home on the pasture horses and find it lasts for a couple days on them. I use it at the shows when the bugs are bad and don't find that it attracts dust. Good stuff.

#6 ·
I've used many different ones. Several years ago the Bronco worked great then it didn't work so great :-( Then I tried pyranha which again worked great at first then not so great. Also Horse and Pony spray, Flicks, Ultrashield and many others that I don't remember :lol:
I finally figured out that the flys adapt to the insecticides. Read the article under Auto mist http://www.horseforum.com/auto-mist/insecticide-choices-23693/
I decided to just continually mix it up, using different sprays all the time so my fly fiends can't adapt.

#8 ·
I've used many different ones. Several years ago the Bronco worked great then it didn't work so great :-( Then I tried pyranha which again worked great at first then not so great. Also Horse and Pony spray, Flicks, Ultrashield and many others that I don't remember :lol:
I finally figured out that the flys adapt to the insecticides. Read the article under Auto mist http://www.horseforum.com/auto-mist/insecticide-choices-23693/
I decided to just continually mix it up, using different sprays all the time so my fly fiends can't adapt.
Yup...it's just like wormers.

#7 ·
Ha, too funny Vida!
I've heard that scented horse shampoos actually attract flys....I don't know if that applies to sweet-smelling fly sprays.
Thanks for the tips, guys! Much appreciated!

#9 ·
We actually ended up putting Apple Cider Vinegar in the horse's water and using a fly spray only when riding.

I was amazed how well the ACV really worked. It takes a couple weeks for it to get all through the horses' system but I really did notice fewer flies throughout the summer.

I think it has to do with the ACV eventually ends us making the poo less desirable for the flies too......so they don't hang out on the poo as much so maybe there are just less flies in general.

#13 ·
Yea bronco i think has citrenella(sp???) smell which will make the flys want to stay away for a very short while but it is not potent enough to kill or keep them away. I use to love endure until I reliezed it didn't really work. I agree with everone that ultra shield works best and pyranha is next!

#16 ·
its much cheaper to buy the concentrate and mix it yourself their are actually only a few chemicals that are used in the premix and its deluted to much. only use fly spry when i ride, my horses freerange on plenty of pasture so they need the flys to keep them in shape, theirs a good chance they would founder, if it werent for the horseflys to keep them running.

#17 ·
I've done fly predators, fed garlic and neither seemed to do much. As others have said, the flies seem to become immune to certain sprays. In my area of Southern Cal, Ultra Shield and Tri-tech which had basically the same ingred. seemed to work the best last summer. Don't know what'll work this year. I tried all the herbal/organic ones and they didn't help at all.

#19 ·
in the summer at shows when i really want him to be bug free i use flyspray meant for cows. it smells nasty but lol i guess the flys think so too.

#21 ·
i make my own i gave up on buying fly sprays and ending up it doesn't work LOL. what i do is add some vinegar water and dish washing soap

18 oz white vinegar
2 Tbsp dish washing soap.
Mix in a 20 oz spray bottle and shake gently until well blended. You may add water to dilute. Spray liberally on your horse

#23 ·
It's all about how high the pyrethrin count is in the fly spray. Pyrethrins are the organic compounds that have the insecticide ability. Ultrashield EX has some of the highest concentration of pyrethrins, around .50%, so yes it's at the top of the most efficient fly sprays. Bronco, on the other hand, has only about .06% pyrethrins, and doesn't do much to repel flies (which is why it's cheap). Check the front of any flyspray bottle, it will show what the pyrethrin percentage is. If you want to use an all natural spray, I've had good results with Eqyss Marigold, but it needs to be be re-applied every two to three days. I use Ultrashield EX and Equispot, which is applied once every two weeks. My horse is always fly free and happy that way.

#24 ·
The owners of the tack store where I buy most of my horse supplies at , suggested using Endure, it worked really well for them and they have 5 horses. I tried it last summer on my geldings and it worked well for me. I try to get it when I see it on sale or have a coupon sometimes at Tractor Supply it will be on sale, it is a little pricey but it worked for my horses

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.