The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Equines (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/)
-   -   Possible mule colt (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/possible-mule-colt-244090/)

gdharvey 07-29-2013 09:46 PM

Possible mule colt

Well, my mare is getting preg checked on Friday. There were on studs at my mares previous boarding facility and we moved her in February and there is a donkey behind us that is intact (they can't get close enough I don't think unless he can get into our pasture) and even then she shouldn't be showing milk this early. But if for some reason she is pregnant with a mule colt, how much do they go for? Or can we even give them away? Help? I play polo, I have absolutely no use for a mule :/ not that they aren't cute but that's one more mouth to feed.

franknbeans 07-29-2013 10:02 PM

How about you see if she is even preggo before you go trying to sell the foal. just a thought. If she was WITH studs before, why on earth would you think it was the donkey? Why on earth did you keep her with studs in the first place?

Get the vet check and then come back.

gdharvey 07-29-2013 11:36 PM

Wow actually I meant no studs, my phone switched it to on. And because I like to prepare for the future is why I am only ASKING. I am not set up for a foal and have no experience with them, so I have no business having them. I only assume it was the donkeys because she has never been with a stud. Thanks for off putting me to this forum with your rudeness. If you have no advice I would recommend you not even post. I hope you never need advice and someone so ignorant as you would comment. Although I assume you are the type of equestrian owner that knows everything. Buh bye...

demonwolfmoon 07-30-2013 02:36 AM

I think smrobs poses valid points, even if you dont like the way she phrased it.

Instead of returning snark for perceived snark, you could have responded more neutrally.

This is, however, the internet. what you put out, anyone can respond to. And Smrobs, btw, doesn't generally stroke me as "ignorant".

to answer your question, you may get a few hundred for a mule weanling....plan for 6 months of mom time beforw you can wean, and vaccinea, and vet care. so if she is knocked up, and you're reaponsible, you probably won't make a profit.

QtrBel 07-30-2013 09:35 AM

Did I miss something? Are Franknbeans and smrobs the same person?
OP if you moved the horse in Feb and she is showing a bag and milk now she was bred before you moved her not after. If she were bred by the donk Feb/March when she was moved she'd only be 4 or 5 months along. Get the vet out have her preg checked and go from there.

Speed Racer 07-30-2013 10:13 AM

I think demon meant F&B, Qtr. She and Robs definitely aren't the same person.

OP, although Frank was blunt she was hardly rude, especially since your first post made it appear as if your mare had been out with horse stallions before being exposed to the donkey. Her advice is good regardless; have the mare vet checked for pregnancy before you start worrying about whether or not she's carrying a foal, mule or otherwise.

Allison Finch 07-30-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdharvey (Post 3202106)
Wow actually I meant no studs, my phone switched it to on. And because I like to prepare for the future is why I am only ASKING. I am not set up for a foal and have no experience with them, so I have no business having them. I only assume it was the donkeys because she has never been with a stud. Thanks for off putting me to this forum with your rudeness. If you have no advice I would recommend you not even post. I hope you never need advice and someone so ignorant as you would comment. Although I assume you are the type of equestrian owner that knows everything. Buh bye...

Easy there....

She was responding to what was written, even though you now said that it was incorrect information. We can only respond to what we read. While she was blunt, she was not as rude as your reply was. You are new here and she had no history with you to know that your post simply had a typo. I suggest, before you post so strongly next time, that you understand how a typo can dramatically change what you posted.

As to your question, mules can be quite sought after, under certain circumstances. What breed is the mare? What traits will she pass to the foal? One won't know until it is born. Fine mules with some height on them are very sought after by many disciplines. I know people who event mules

http://www.nuggetnews.com/SiteImages...ize/21228a.jpg

People who do dressage on mules

or jumping

http://www.braymoorestables.com/gloryjump.jpg

And there is nothing better in the back country than a mule

Extreme Mules - YouTube

So, don't discount the value of a mule, if its conformation allows it to be marketed to a particular group/discipline.

Golden Horse 07-30-2013 12:26 PM

Now I want an eventing mule!

smrobs 07-30-2013 12:58 PM

LOL, mules can be awesome....or a pain in the butt, just depends on whether you're a mule person or not :wink:.

One thing for certain, though, they can jump like nobody's business.

Allison Finch 07-30-2013 01:22 PM

Yeah, "coon jumping" contests are quite popular in places