The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Free horse???????????????????? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/free-horse-24426/)

girl_on_black_pony 03-16-2009 09:17 PM

Free horse????????????????????

Um, I was offering my mini to this guy to trade for his arabian. I didn't think he'd comply...? But this is the email I get. How can this horse be for free?

Quote:

TOMMY is a beautiful, funny, willing 10 year old Arabian gelding.
When you first see Tommy you hold your breath as he walks with
confidence to you, his ears forward and delight in his eyes. He is the
most personable Gelding,with a great sense of humor, eager to be
hugged and kissed and touched. Always a gentle horse first, he
delights to see small humans and pets, His mane is down to his knees,
thick and shiny and his incredible tail is usually dragging on the
ground behind him as he prances. He represents all that is desirable
about the Arabian breed. He has three correct gaits, a ground
covering canter that has been called by classical trainers *simply
correct and in superb cadence*, and a lifted trot with natural
suspension.. His walk is effortless, long sinewy strides and a natural
over track He has been schooled in and knows movements such as half
pass, leg yields, shoulder in and haunches in and starting the Spanish
walk. Tommy possess a lovely work ethic- he enjoys all the excitement
of grooming and saddling and always is a gentleman in any arena. He
likes to jump and is quite athletic and light on his feet! He has
never been ill or injured. As a 10 yr old he is ready to
continue his education and could be your 1st level mount for the
summer of 2009 with the ability and knowledge to move up if his rider
is ready. This is truly a remarkable gelding who also is a voice command
accepting gelding. Tommy is very easy to collect, His is an excellent
baby,you may come and collect or can be shipped.
Tommy is registered with many different registries, FHANA,, FOA
(where he is an approved Silver gilding) TASHR and has his
lifetime registration with the United States Dressage Federation.
Below are some lovely photos of he's for you to view and see if you
will love to keep.
You can as well get back to me to find out the reason why i am giving
him out.I am not selling Tommy but giving him out to a good and lovely
home.
Waiting

http://i41.tinypic.com/2je6495.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/29d74nc.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/2s6aezq.jpg

Spastic_Dove 03-16-2009 09:21 PM

He doesn't LOOK very impressive but thats just my opinion.
I'd be reading between the lines here. Go out and see him,catch him, ride him, and tack him up yourself.
Get a complete vet check done also if you decide to take the next step.

Maybe the guy really is just looking for a good home for his horse and isnt looking to make money but in this industry, I doubt it.

Draven 03-16-2009 10:27 PM

My first and foremost opinion of the email was SCAM! Some of the wording I have seen in other scams with other animals. They keep the names very simple, Tommy is a very simple and well known name. I have seen where they give the animal away for free but you have to pay shipping costs and thats where they get your money!

But I could be wrong and it could be a legit thing. If they are by you I would go out and see the horse in person but if they're not by you then have a vet go out and if thats not possible than I'd completely skip by this. There are just so many scams out there and I hate to see people get ripped off!

Maybe I'm not seeing right but he doesn't look like a full Arabian like he is saying either!

wild_spot 03-16-2009 10:44 PM

He looks like a full arab to me. Just not the typical strain. He looks very similar to my boy Wildey, who is a superstar!

But I agree, I would be thinking scam... See if you can check him out for yourself...

Spastic_Dove 03-16-2009 10:49 PM

I was thinking one of those craigslists scams as well too

Draven 03-16-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 271478)
He looks like a full arab to me. Just not the typical strain. He looks very similar to my boy Wildey, who is a superstar!

But I agree, I would be thinking scam... See if you can check him out for yourself...

Ok I thought I might have been wrong and thats why I said it might just be me. I'm glad to see that you think he does look like one because that eases a tiny bit of it not being a scam but I'm almost 90% sure it is!

Cat 03-16-2009 11:41 PM

It does read like one of the many scams that are out there. Next thing he will be telling you is the horse is in cameroon or something like that and you "just have to pay shipping for him back to the states".

If it is not a scam and you can actually go see the horse - he may not be actually giving it away free, but wanting to do a free lease where if you ever need to find him a new home he must go back to the original owner. In this economy that would help get the horse off his feed bill for however long you keep him, but help him ensure the horse doesn't end up passed from home to home and possibly ending up at auction or even slaughter.

Lucara 03-17-2009 12:17 AM

Well the horse pictured doesnt have the length of mane or tail stated in the add.

Meh, I'll go along with everyone else in that its a scam. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Draven 03-17-2009 12:22 AM

[quote=Lucara;271517]Well the horse pictured doesnt have the length of mane or tail stated in the add.
quote]

I didn't even think to put those two together! Thats a good one!

Yes if its anything from Cameroon or anything in Nigeria, it is a scam! A lot of them also add sob stories to it about their wife passing away and how they had to move and the climate over there isn't suitable for the horse and blah blah blah. Its really sad they do this!

JustDressageIt 03-17-2009 03:30 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Sorry. It's a scam.

I saw a Friesian ad that had the exact same description. I will see if I can find the link.