The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Can I straighten my horses tail? Need help blending the fake tail. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/can-i-straighten-my-horses-tail-244354/)

snookums 07-30-2013 10:39 AM

Can I straighten my horses tail? Need help blending the fake tail.

I recently purchased a fake tail for my horse. His natural tail is short, kinda bushy, wavy, and kinda frizzy. When I attached the fake tail for the last show, I conditioned the crap out of his tail, braided it, and let it dry, and the next morning it still returned to its natural bushy state, where the fake tail looked long and sleek underneath it. Yes, the judge laughed at my horse in halter. I ended up spraying his tail until it was greasy and squashing it down with vet wrap before each class. Once again, I had people walking around giggling because my horse had vet wrap butt. Please help!

Can I possibly straighten out the wavy and frizzies in his tail? Will that ruin his tail?

I'd prefer not to be laughed at again, but if I don't wear the fake tail he still looks ridiculous. Any help would be appreciated.

waresbear 07-30-2013 10:54 AM

Did you wash and fluff out the fake tail first? When they are made, they silicone the snot out of the hairs and straighten them, while it looks nice on it's own or with a horse that has a straight tail to begin with, the idea is to blend it in so it looks natural. Horse hair is very thick and has a memory so while you can straight iron mane & tail hair, once it moves around & hits humidity, it will fluff out again. Wash your fake tail with horse shampoo, condition it a bit to remove any tangles, let it air dry but not completely, blow-dry the last bit of moisture out of it to get it more natural to match your horse's tail.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 08-01-2013 08:57 AM

Thinning the tail from the underneath may give it a better profile for when the extension is added. I've yet to see one where it wasn't obviously fake. Those showing in the upper echelons glue individual hairs on for a natural look.

xlionesss 08-01-2013 09:00 AM

Oh how I wish you were near me, I'd fix it up. I'm a cosmetologist and specialize in human extensions, so horse ones are fun for me too!