The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Using Paparika with breed shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/using-paparika-breed-shows-24440/)

cowgirlfitzy 03-17-2009 10:01 AM

Using Paparika with breed shows

So I've heard that paprika will make you test positive for a drug test. I'm going to be showing buckskin circuit this year, is this something I should be concerned about? How long do wait to stop feeding it?

CloudsMystique 03-17-2009 10:31 AM

Yeah, there's something called "capsaicin" that'll make your horse test positive. You can wait until 7 days before the show to stop giving it to them.

cowgirlfitzy 03-19-2009 11:53 PM

Ok Thanks alot!

Twitch2008 03-24-2009 01:14 PM

I have never heard of capsicum making anyone test positive for drugs. Poppy seeds will if enough are consumed. I Googled it and found nothing to support this. If I were you I would research it a bit more.

cowgirlfitzy 03-24-2009 01:59 PM

Yea I think I'm going to ask the vet about it. I probably won't use it anymore anyways. I just bought some coco soya so I don't think that I will need the paparika much anymore. That way I don't have to worry about it.

CloudsMystique 03-25-2009 05:47 PM

Equine Health

Scroll down to where it says "Forbidden Substances."
Apparently it doesn't actually test positive, but they have to warn you just in case.

~*~anebel~*~ 03-26-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitch2008 (Post 276126)
I have never heard of capsicum making anyone test positive for drugs. Poppy seeds will if enough are consumed. I Googled it and found nothing to support this. If I were you I would research it a bit more.

.... Have you even followed the Olympics 08???
A half a dozen horses tested positive and were chucked out!

I would stop feeding it well before 7 days before your competition just to be sure.

Spastic_Dove 03-26-2009 07:45 PM

Wow Twitch, that was kind of rude. =/
Like everyone else mentioned, wait about a week/week1/2

Jessabel 03-28-2009 09:23 PM

What's the purpose of giving them paprika in the first place? I've never heard of that.

I'm not surprised poppy seeds would do that. It's opium.
Why would you give your horse poppy seeds anyway?

cowgirlfitzy 03-28-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessabel (Post 279013)
What's the purpose of giving them paprika in the first place? I've never heard of that.

I'm not surprised poppy seeds would do that. It's opium.
Why would you give your horse poppy seeds anyway?

Paparika is suppose to improve their hair coat and prevent it from being bleached from the sun. There is some interesting post on here from a while ago if you do a search.

I think once I run out of it I'm just gonna use my Grand Coat/flax seed stuff and coco soya. Just so I don't have to worry about it.

I have no idea about the poppy seeds. I never heard of that.