The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   federal Jury Rules against AQHA in cloning law suit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/federal-jury-rules-against-aqha-cloning-244554/)

Roperchick 07-30-2013 04:23 PM

federal Jury Rules against AQHA in cloning law suit

Just Wondering what yalls thoughts are on this decision
AQHA: Cloning Lawsuit

I know it was discussed a little when the High Brow Cat clone was born. Byr now they've made a decision.

Speed Racer 07-30-2013 04:28 PM

Registries are memberships, and memberships should be able to reserve the right to uphold the desires of the majority of their clients. If the majority do NOT want clones registerable, then they shouldn't be.

QtrBel 07-30-2013 04:33 PM

Pooah widdle hossie has to hab papahs cause mommy and daddy pahd so much money to get him borned. Don't know where their heads were on that one except in the owners pocketbooks?????? Similar to PETA/ASPCA and the horse processing plants. It isn't about what is best for the industry but what suits those that can afford to shell out the money. I totally agree with Speed.

My2Geldings 07-30-2013 08:51 PM

I am furious at what they are allowing. I'm with AQHA when it comes to their decision to not allow it. Comes to show we will now have to be that much more careful when buying purebred QHs, because in 20 years you will have to watch out for making sure you're not purchasing a horse who has been cloned at one point or another.

I fear what will happen when it's something that becomes affordable for anyone to do :?

equiniphile 07-30-2013 08:55 PM

I'm disappointed in this outcome-- not because I disagree with cloning, but because I feel that the AQHA membership reserves the right to create their own regulations and restrictions.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 07-30-2013 09:14 PM

I would be surprised if this survives an appeal.
Posted via Mobile Device

demonwolfmoon 07-30-2013 11:35 PM

I have nothing against cloning. I think its fascinating. But then, Im a scientist.

DH would like to input that the whole point of the registry is genetics. "If its the same horse, then who cares?"

Me, I think it has the potential to improve the breed. I bet theres some gelding owners who wish they didnt geld, mares past their breeding prime who would cross well with current studs, and well...horses and accidents go together.

No, you would not be getting the same horse twice, but a copy of their genes. So this does have potential IMO for breeding stock more so than the average pet owner looking for Fluffy 2.0

Sharpie 07-30-2013 11:47 PM

Science aside, the AQHA is a membership and animal registration, and should have the right to restrict granting registrations as they see fit (human race, gender, other discrimination aside, of course).

DaraT 07-31-2013 12:55 AM

I belong to several breed registries. IMHO clones should not be registered in any existing breed registry. If registries decide that clones can be registered, then they need to show that prominently on the papers. I want to know what I'm getting is a real first generation horse, not some second hand set of genes because someone with an excess amount of money decided they wanted to defy the laws of life.

demonwolfmoon 07-31-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaraT (Post 3212802)
I belong to several breed registries. IMHO clones should not be registered in any existing breed registry. If registries decide that clones can be registered, then they need to show that prominently on the papers. I want to know what I'm getting is a real first generation horse, not some second hand set of genes because someone with an excess amount of money decided they wanted to defy the laws of life.

lol it would be a "real horse", and I doubt anyone would sell you a clone $$$ in place of a traditionally acquired foal. ;) Futhermore, I doubt the cloned animals offspring would be in any way distinguishable from other babies.

So basically, what Im seeing is that you have a moral issue with cloning, and are throwing every bit of distaste at it by implying clones arent real horses, referring to things like "second hand genes", and insulting YOUR perception of the type of person who would seek a clone.

Classy.