The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Vitamin E Supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/vitamin-e-supplement-244682/)

cowgirlnay 07-30-2013 08:16 PM

Vitamin E Supplement?

My QH gelding is now 20, he has always been kind of a hard keeper, but always been pretty muscular. Lately, he has been losing a lot of his muscle on his topline along his back. You can see his spine quite a bit. He eats a ton - he's out on pasture about half the day, then gets a grass hay as well. He is not getting ridden much lately, so thought maybe that was why he is losing some muscle? The vet suggested a Vitamin E supplement...Anyone feed one or have experience with it?

ladygodiva1228 07-30-2013 08:19 PM

I highly recommend Elevate. Great stuff.
Elevate SE Equine Supplement 2 lbs - ShanesTack

Brighteyes 07-31-2013 11:14 PM

I do! I feed a vitamin E/selenium combo supplement. Makes for happy muscles and less soreness after exercise.

cowgirlnay 08-01-2013 12:03 PM

I just read somewhere online that Vit E is naturally consumed on pasture grass, but if they are not getting access to fresh grass, they need to be on a Vit E supplement. Now, he is out on pasture about 4 hours a day...the supplement would still probably help though?

verona1016 08-01-2013 02:04 PM

I guess it would depend on the quality of the grass, but I'd think supplementation would still be helpful if they're only getting 4 hours of grazing. My horse is in a similar situation (he gets 3-4 hours of pasture daily) but by now the pasture is starting to look a bit overgrazed so I don't think he's getting all the much out of it nutritionally. I keep my horse on the same level of supplementation year round (1 lb Triple Crown 30% Supplement).

The same is true of vitamin A, as well.

Left Hand Percherons 08-02-2013 02:02 AM

Based on the description of your horse losing topline, why would the vet recommend Vit E for that? Vit E is an antioxidant primarily. Yes, it might do him some good with his age but it's not going to build muscle back up. For that he needs a good quality protein and work.

gssw5 08-03-2013 11:14 PM

I am assuming you have had his teeth checked and he is chewing ok. Based on the horses age and that he is losing top line, has the vet checked him for cushings? I only ask because I had an older gelding with the same symptoms, and my vet just kept saying it was due to age, well then I had another vet come out and she diagnosed him with cushings, we changed his diet and he improved somewhat, but his teeth were pretty much gone so he could only eat mushy food. But the diet for cushings horses is low carbs and starches, with lots of fat and fiber. But if he is not chewing well then all the grass and hay is not going to help.

cowgirlnay 08-07-2013 02:24 PM

Yeah he had his teeth done roughly 8 months ago, I just spoke to the vet over the phone about him, so it probably would be best if he saw him in person..He said Vit E is really the only supplement you can give for muscle? Could be wrong though, I will keep researching. He gets about 2 cups of Purina Strategy a day. I could up his intake of that, or maybe switch to Triple Crown or something?

Left Hand Percherons 08-07-2013 05:22 PM

http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/hors...ses4-23-03.pdf

Basic nutrition. It's an antioxidant no matter if it's horse, human, cattle or dog.

verona1016 08-07-2013 08:02 PM

I think there are other things that contribute to muscle development. One that's closely linked to Vit E is selenium. Not sure about your specific area, but I know a lot of the Pacific NW is selenium deficient, and you can have your horse's blood serum tested to tell whether or not he is selenium deficient. (There's also a test for Vit E, as well as many other minerals, though blood tests are not necessarily accurate indicators for all of them)