The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   California questions... Again... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/california-questions-again-244690/)

ApolloRider 07-30-2013 07:24 PM

California questions... Again...

So we might be moving... AGAIN...
I'm so tired of never being able to relax... Ugh..

So anyway,
Hubby's office would be in Concord, however he will only be required to be there 3-4 times a month so we wouldn't necessarily have to be right there.
He will basically be driving all over Northern California, literally. So this opens up a HUGE area for potential for Land or a house.

So down to my question,
To those of you from the area, what places should I avoid, and what areas could be a hidden gem?
Keep in mind, we hate most people and we dislike being to close to major cities, so even if you think it's a bit far, we are open to it most likely. :D
I am trying not to reach out to any agents yet because I don't want to waste their time in case he doesn't get the position...

ApolloRider 07-30-2013 07:25 PM

Oh, and I prefer horsey communities. Hehe.

walkinthewalk 07-30-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApolloRider (Post 3210154)
Keep in mind, we hate most people and we dislike being to close to major cities, .

:rofl::rofl: I know that's not funny but then again it is, since I get it more than you could ever imagine:-P

I lived in SoCal so I am not of any help.

I am not familiar with Cost Of Living in Oregon as compared to California. California is very expensive, especially when it comes to licensing vehicles.

You might be better off staying put and ideally having an RV that could be parked somewhere, like contractors do. Hubby would need a car small enough to tow behind the RV, however.

Just a thought:D

deserthorsewoman 07-30-2013 10:27 PM

Google maps and CL.....for starters. :-)
That way you'll get an idea what's available where, can see the neighborhood from above,
and if you have decided on an area, for sure some of us can help:-)

jamesqf 07-31-2013 12:59 PM

Don't know if it's doable for you, but the northern Sierra, say between 30 miles or so north of I-80 and Mt. Lassen, has a lot of good riding country and not too bad real estate prices.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-31-2013 01:17 PM

Concord is right next to San Francisco, and Mill Valley (one of the, if not the most expensive real estate in the state) and boarding will be horrendous there, and TONS of people per square inch. Stockton is about an hour east of there, and there's quite a bit of farm/ranch land in the area. None of it will be cheap. Santa Rosa is in the wine country and has some beautiful properties up there. It's also closer to the coast, so could be pretty expensive.

deserthorsewoman 07-31-2013 02:12 PM

My area is quite nice, Merced County. Not cheap, but not as blown out of proportion as SF or LA.
Hubby is in Stockton for the week, he says it stinks.....lol

deserthorsewoman 07-31-2013 02:15 PM

Oh, really nice country and few people you'll find in Tres Pinos and Paicines. Google it.
But don't expect anything under half a mil there....

dressagebelle 07-31-2013 02:36 PM

We just moved up to the Grass Valley/Nevada City area, and we love it. You can find decent land for not a huge amount of money, the two towns are small, so no huge city traffic, but still close enough to bigger cities to find target, home depot, wal mart, etc. You can get more mountainy with snow, or lower elevations with no snow within minutes of each other so snow fun without living in it. I would look on zillow, and/or look up real estate agents and companies in an area, most have websites, so you can get an idea without involving them.

JulieG 07-31-2013 03:19 PM

I'm living in SoCal so I can't help much with this, but when I'm day dreaming about buying a property I always check out unitedcountry.com

They have some good looking listings and it seems geared towards people like us (those that like to be in the middle or nowhere and hate others.) :D