The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   holy cow it works!!!! Whats yours? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/holy-cow-works-whats-yours-24470/)

Draven 03-17-2009 07:13 PM

holy cow it works!!!! Whats yours?

What's something someone told you about that you thought to yourself "hmmm I dunno if that would really work" but tried it and it did work?

Mine for example:

I've always heard to use a cold wet wash cloth on furniture to remove pet hair and holy crap it works! I have no idea why but it does!!! I have a suede type futon that is black and my white cat sheds like no other and there is always a THICK layer of white fur on that couch that I can never get up.....but wipe it with a cold wet wash cloth then vacuum it all comes off!!!

Now what are your little secrets to things like this?

RusticWildFire 03-17-2009 07:19 PM

That's really good to know! Cat hair is so hard to get rid of. I will have to try that sometime.

I can't think of any secrets for things at the moment. If I do I will come back.

Vidaloco 03-17-2009 07:21 PM

ShamWOW I bought a pack at Equifest. My husband thought I was nuts but I've used them for big jobs like soaking up water from a leaking ice maker to drying the dog after a bath. Their great :D

My2Geldings 03-17-2009 09:20 PM

When I want to straighten my hair, I blow dry it straight out of the shower for an extra 2-3 mins after my hair has completely dried. That extra couple minutes settles it out down completely.

eventnwithwinston 03-17-2009 10:10 PM

Bounce sheets keep bees away from you and prevent static... :) lol
Oh and baby powder and old lady's white hair shampoo whiten your horse's socks.

PaintedLady 03-18-2009 03:15 AM

Baby powder also helps your leather latigoes 'live' longer. It really helps them stay 'slick' longer. My horse has learned to think nothing of powder coming at her!
AND bounce sheets help with *all* bugs! I keep them in my saddle bags, pockets, etc. to help ward off those bloodthirsty skeeters we have. Helps to rub them on the horse, too. (I usually do this as we are riding thru a cloud of those nasty blood-suckers.)
Also...if you rub fabric with a clean, dry washcloth, it will help remove dirty spots. Never ever 'hit' the spot with something wet. (You know the kind...)

WHEW! Now my day is complete. :wink:

My2Geldings 03-19-2009 11:54 AM

huh? bounce sheets? What do you do with bounce sheets??

Cat 03-19-2009 01:28 PM

White vinegar is a cheap & safe cleaner - you can even use it on wood floors. One of the few things that you can safely use around a pet bird.

FGRanch 03-22-2009 10:09 AM

I am going to have to try the pet hair idea, my JRT sheds in the worlds worst way. LOL But I have leather do you think it will work?

Bounce is awesome bug repellent. I rub it on my horses face when the bugs are really bad. Works wonders.

Petroleum Jelly keeps snow from packing into your horses feet during the winter months.

Draven 03-23-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 274935)
I am going to have to try the pet hair idea, my JRT sheds in the worlds worst way. LOL But I have leather do you think it will work?

I'm sure it will! Its only a cold wet washcloth and nothing else! I can't imagine it ruining anything. The couch I used it on is a weird almost suede like couch and hair embeds in it horribly and this is the only thing that worked! Not even the lint roller worked as well as this. After you wipe it it will still all be on the couch so you need to vacuum it and it comes off so easily!