The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Barefoot in MN? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/barefoot-mn-24508/)

MN Tigerstripes 03-18-2009 10:48 AM

Barefoot in MN?

I have been trimming my horse's hooves for about a year now. My friend taught me a little and I self-taught the rest. I think I'm doing an ok job (at least the horses seem happier). But I would like to find a barefoot trimmer to come out and take a look or trim them once for me. The problem I have is I only know of one person in MN and she charges like $150.00 per horse and I've heard that the horses are foot sore after she comes out for awhile. Is this a normal price? And does anyone know of any natural trimmers in MN or a good farrier who won't poo-poo the natural hoof trimming?

Thanks

manhirwen 03-18-2009 10:52 AM

I can get my horses feet naturally trimmed for as low as $25 a horse here in OR, but personally I'd go with the guy with the good reputation in the area for $35 a horse. I'm not sure why that person charges so much, might just be the area I guess but it seems kinda high to me who can find good farriers for little to no cost.

barefoothooves 03-18-2009 05:14 PM

Have you looked on the EasyCare site? THey have barefoot trimmers and farriers listed (kinda like a classifieds section, so it doesn't mean they are endorsed by EasyCare). Or try here: The Horse's Hoof, News for Barefoot Hoofcare on the side bar they have a trimmers list, but some are more Strasser type trims (and are more invasive and likely to cause soreness) That is probably why the $150/horse trimmer is allegedly making them sore, seems there are more Strasser trained trimmers in the North/Eastern parts of the country. You would probably want a Ramey type trim or Jamie Jackson, they are not invasive.

$150? Dang, I need to move up there! I charge $30 and get odd looks sometimes!

MN Tigerstripes 03-18-2009 06:15 PM

Thanks I will check it out. Should I just ask what type of barefoot trim they do? I definitely don't want sore/invasive. I have a 28 yo TWH mare and she is finally tennessee walking/trotting/even occaisionally cantering (for the last 5 yrs at least she has only walked) in the pasture again since I started trimming her and I don't want to hurt her. Are you sure you don't want to make a trip up here?? hehe ;-)

barefoothooves 03-18-2009 09:39 PM

LOL I would definitly ask what style of "natural" trimming they are doing, and I would ask WHERE they learned it or if they at least had a shoeing background before they made the switch. Also, ask if they still shoe, as sometimes they want to fall back on shoes instead sticking it out and might not be that great at barefoot trims. Self taught isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the more experience, the better, especially under a qualified instructor, to be able to spot any mistakes you may have made, and that's the point of you having them out.

prbygenny 03-18-2009 10:05 PM

Tiger I am in MN and have a really great NB trimmer. He loves Pete Ramey (sp?) PM me if you want his number. He lives in St. Paul and I don't know how far you are from him but he charges $40 in his normal traveling area. You could ask him how far he goes and how much more it would be for your area. Also the 1st time out it does cost like $65 but that is because he is taking pictures and spending alot more time measuring and taking notes about each foot.
Let me know!!

Appyt 03-18-2009 10:12 PM

Another thought is to ask for referrels. Then call them and maybe even go see his/her work.