The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   How to manage these hooves (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/how-manage-these-hooves-245169/)

princessfluffybritches 07-31-2013 02:48 PM

How to manage these hooves

4 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine has the horse done by a farrier every 4-6 weeks. For a year. Her feet were fine a year ago.
Diet is sufficient
Pasture has been wet but not for a year
Stalls are dry
Farrier says the horse has bad hooves, barn manager agrees
Lady has always been there every day to groom horse and apply turpentine
The heels are so run forward that they look like part of the hoof wall. She was told the horse needs to grow heel. He shod her this way to solve the problem. He just keeps doing the same thing .
This is the left hoof which keeps getting nailed back on.
Her instructions were to put turpentine on the soles
I can't understand why farrier doesn't see that these hooves have deteriorated to this during the past year to present.

Clava 07-31-2013 02:50 PM

Time for a new farrier, that is awful shoeing. Long toes and underrun heels. I would check the diet for too much sugar / starch.

SEAmom 07-31-2013 02:52 PM

I agree that it's time for a new farrier hasta pronto.
Posted via Mobile Device

morganarab94 07-31-2013 02:54 PM

Agreed I seriously think that's one of the worst farrier jobs I've seen in a long while..no offense of course!

princessfluffybritches 07-31-2013 03:03 PM

I have told her there's no excuse for those hooves. I've gotten her solid advice on what has been done and what needs to be done.
Then in the next breath she goes whining to others that her horse has poor quality hooves and the farrier will fix them. (Uh huh). Very sad.

My other friend has a 3 year old fox trotter that has hooves that spread into pancakes where they were wider than high, chips and flares. A few weeks ago I started rolling the edges, and the hooves finally are starting to look real good. But same farrier , she said, tells her he doesn't know what a rolled edge is, but he will have to do it next time. (?)

I am too frustrated at this point to do or say anymore. You can lead a horse to water...................

My time is more valuable than spitting in the wind.

Cat 07-31-2013 03:05 PM

New farrier and maybe even a re-evaluation of the diet.

princessfluffybritches 07-31-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganarab94 (Post 3217177)
Agreed I seriously think that's one of the worst farrier jobs I've seen in a long while..no offense of course!

No offense taken. I know what this is. I know how to manage it. But free advice is , well, not worth much. So now I'll keep it. I was just dying to share it here.

princessfluffybritches 07-31-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 3217265)
New farrier and maybe even a re-evaluation of the diet.

Horse's diet is pasture, 10% pellets, 2 flakes of Tifton-not great quality, and a hay roll out in the pasture. So far she has just added a really good hoof supplement. And fungal shampoo for the cannon bones. Turpentine for the soles.

Re-eval of the diet sounds very good. If she asks I'll pass it on.

princessfluffybritches 07-31-2013 03:16 PM

You all are great . Never met so many people that knew so much. I admire people who go on their own and study study study. I've never found any poor advice here. You all care about horses and educating.

SEAmom 07-31-2013 03:21 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the turpentine for?
Posted via Mobile Device