The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Badly need help with AQH (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/badly-need-help-aqh-245177/)

Snapper 07-31-2013 02:49 PM

Badly need help with AQH
 
Hi there people of HorseForum. I just made an account right now cause I've browsed here before and some of you seem to know what you're talking about LOL. I have a 11 year old AQH horse gelding. He never spooks, and he's real funny (he literally will smile for you) Well in the arena we seem to do fine, he listens but lately he's just been stopping and will not budge. I kick him soft, I kick him hard, I click to him, nothing. After a few slaps on the hindquarters he eventually will go. He does this just to be lazy, I also ride with my father and his horse and if they aren't in front of us he doesn't want to listen to me. I even tried circles to get him to stop it, nope. I don't want to get a wip or spurs but I feel like if I can't come to find something to get him to move I'm gonna have to get some tickling spurs. Any tips please? D:

But this is why I'm posting: I ride him in a bitless bridle, and today we were on our 2nd trail ride (he's been on many, it's my 2nd ever but I've already gotten use to it hahal) He was excited and everything at first but then he calmed down. after awhile, he got way too excited and I kept trying to make him just walk instead of going too fast that I couldn't really pay attention to what we were riding into. After that, My gosh. The horse I've worked with, the one I trust my life with, turned into a green 2 year old TB. He just kept trotting and trotting fast and nervously, with or without the other horse in front of him. I kept pulling on him to stop him, I did everything in my power but after i got him to walk he'd just start up again. Then he started to get so crazy he was kinda running off on me in a pointless direction. He wasn't even like this on our first trail ride! I wasn't scared just, very disappointed. I got angry and even cried. Will I have to put a bit in his mouth to make him walk without yanking him all the time?


I really need help from a professional here... I don't have an instructor since I've had easily over 30 in my 4 or so years of riding, I just finally had enough and I keep instructing myself. Thanks so much.


P.S. I honestly can say it had nothing to do with my feelings though. I wasn't scared at all, I don't get scared I handle things. So no sensing things here

nickers103 07-31-2013 02:59 PM

Hi there Snapper. Welcome to the forum and I'm glad to see you felt comfortable enough asking for advice from us folks here at Horse Forum.

How old are you and how long have you owned this horse? The reason I ask is that it may be beneficial to both you and the horse to have a professional come out and give you some advice/pointers based on what they can actually see. Sometimes reading things can be difficult to discern.

Snapper 07-31-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickers103 (Post 3217209)
Hi there Snapper. Welcome to the forum and I'm glad to see you felt comfortable enough asking for advice from us folks here at Horse Forum.

How old are you and how long have you owned this horse?

Hi. I'm 15 and I've owned him for about, Meh a year but I've been actually riding him for around 9 months. :)

nickers103 07-31-2013 03:23 PM

For starters it sounds to me like this horse just doesn't respect you OR that you may not understand how to properly control him. Many things in your post cause me to say this: "but lately he's just been stopping and will not budge. I kick him soft, I kick him hard, I click to him, nothing." "I also ride with my father and his horse and if they aren't in front of us he doesn't want to listen to me."

Another question I have is why is this horse being ridden bit-less if he is refusing to listen to you under saddle? To me it just seems that neither you or him are probably ready for that step yet. Have you considered maybe doing some ground-work with him in addition to just riding?

Snapper 07-31-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickers103 (Post 3217457)
For starters it sounds to me like this horse just doesn't respect you OR that you may not understand how to properly control him. Many things in your post cause me to say this: "but lately he's just been stopping and will not budge. I kick him soft, I kick him hard, I click to him, nothing." "I also ride with my father and his horse and if they aren't in front of us he doesn't want to listen to me."

Another question I have is why is this horse being ridden bit-less if he is refusing to listen to you under saddle? To me it just seems that neither you or him are probably ready for that step yet.

He responds much better in the bitless bridle, actually. I wasn't riding him in a bit but my father was and he never responded to him, he did the same thing to my father but much worse. Also the bitless bridle I use works to make horses respond a lot better, so I'm not completely sure if it's helping or hurting.

He just may not respect me that much, I try so hard to get his respect and make him do things but it's impossible.

Are there any tricks to get him to relax a bit more on the trail and make him walk? also to get him to walk when he wont move... I'm thinking I might work with him with a crop for awhile to show him i'm not joking but if he doesn't stop it after that I might get some minor spurs. I have done literally everything I could think to fix him up :P I just want to try every possible way to work with him before I settle for a bit and spurs. Everything else with us is fine ^^

CandyCanes 07-31-2013 03:43 PM

Do you ride western or English?
If its English, you generally always carry a whip anyway.
To get him moving forward, give him a nudge, if he doesn't respond, a kick, and if he doesn't respond again, a single smack behind the saddle with the whip. This is much kinder than continually kicking or hitting him :)
I can't say anything for him rushing off on trail rides, but maybe others can help there.

Snapper 07-31-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyCanes (Post 3217617)
Do you ride western or English?
If its English, you generally always carry a whip anyway.
To get him moving forward, give him a nudge, if he doesn't respond, a kick, and if he doesn't respond again, a single smack behind the saddle with the whip. This is much kinder than continually kicking or hitting him :)
I can't say anything for him rushing off on trail rides, but maybe others can help there.

We do Western, and I really don't like having the crop around (I don't think I could trust it to not get stuck on the trail LOL) But if I had to keep it around temporarily to let him know I'm not one to fool with, I'm up for it!

nickers103 07-31-2013 03:47 PM

I do know of some horses that respond better in a bit-less bridle so as long as you feel comfortable with it (and he responds accordingly), you may be alright.

As for gaining respect and teaching the horse to move, I have found that ground work has done wonders for me, though I'm certainly not saying that it's a "solve-all". Do you have access to a round-pen or an area that you could use to see about doing some ground work exercises in? Work on getting him to move his feet and controlling him more so with your body (that is one of the advantages of bit-less riding, after all).

Using a crop to lightly tap him and encourage him to move forward after you have qued him and if he still will not move may work as a good training aid. I always think of it as "okay, I asked once, don't make me ask twice" - kick. "I'm asking twice and this time I really do mean it with just a little more force..." - kick a bit harder. "you've had ample warning and now I really do mean business" - tap with the crop in conjunction with a kick. He should after awhile catch on and you should no longer need the use of an aid.

As for slowing him down while on the trail, I would suggest really thinking about and trying to slow your body down. Think about having your butt firmly planted into that saddle. The more you slow your body down, the harder it will be for him to move forward faster.





Snapper 07-31-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickers103 (Post 3217689)
I do know of some horses that respond better in a bit-less bridle so as long as you feel comfortable with it (and he responds accordingly), you may be alright.

As for gaining respect and teaching the horse to move, I have found that ground work has done wonders for me, though I'm certainly not saying that it's a "solve-all". Do you have access to a round-pen or an area that you could use to see about doing some ground work exercises in? Work on getting him to move his feet and controlling him more so with your body (that is one of the advantages of bit-less riding, after all).

Using a crop to lightly tap him and encourage him to move forward after you have qued him and if he still will not move may work as a good training aid. I always think of it as "okay, I asked once, don't make me ask twice". "I'm asking twice and this time I really do mean it with just a little more force..." "you've had ample warning and now I really do mean business". He should after awhile catch on and you should no longer need the use of an aid.

As for slowing him down while on the trail, I would suggest really thinking about and trying to slow your body down. Think about having your butt firmly planted into that saddle. The more you slow your body down, the harder it will be for him to move forward faster.





Well for a small space there's a yard that is almost like a big roundpen although a horse lives in it so he might get distracted by hay or something haha. It isn't round either :/ I'll carry the whip with me ^^ I'm saving any kind of minor spurs until I have absolutely no choice, and I'll try really slowing down too! Thanks bunches :) I'll keep you guys updated haha

I don't know how to do groundwork all that well though, Could I learn rather well from a lot of youtube on it? we don't really have trainers (that are in their right minds anyway) near us :P

Muppetgirl 07-31-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapper (Post 3217777)
Well for a small space there's a yard that is almost like a big roundpen although a horse lives in it so he might get distracted by hay or something haha. It isn't round either :/ I'll carry the whip with me ^^ I'm saving any kind of minor spurs until I have absolutely no choice, and I'll try really slowing down too! Thanks bunches :) I'll keep you guys updated haha

I don't know how to do groundwork all that well though, Could I learn rather well from a lot of youtube on it? we don't really have trainers (that are in their right minds anyway) near us :P

How did you manage to go through 30 trainers in fours year? Surely atleast one of them had something to offer:?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0