The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Getting My Ranch horse back in shape (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/getting-my-ranch-horse-back-shape-245449/)

ReinerAnGamer 07-31-2013 07:46 PM

Getting My Ranch horse back in shape

My gelding Levi has had the past 8 months off either than the occasional trail ride because i was so focused on my new show horse and her quirks.

Anyway i would like to get Levi back in shape, i got a good sweat on him in the round pen today (although it didn't take much) he was his usual self, and tried very hard, but i did notice that he was a bit "numb" like his neck was in the way a bit to much, which is to be expected after that long off but i am looking for some exercises to get the suppleness back and to get him out of his pasture pony laziness!!
Posted via Mobile Device

sorral3 09-02-2013 11:35 AM

I would have to say start with basic ground work training to reestablish leadership, balance, and flexibility. A couple of days later you should be able to start riding work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 09-02-2013 11:45 AM

Just ride him! If he's broke enough to hop on once every few months then he's broke enough to just start riding again. Trot and a little bit of lope, get a bit of a sweat on him and after a couple of weeks give him a leg up and let him run. Horses don't forget, they just get dull like a pencil and need sharpening up.

cowgirlnay 09-11-2013 04:42 PM

I always stretch my horse's neck out as soon as I get on..before you start moving, pull their head to the side both ways (hopefully on a soft rein, I don't know how to say that more gently!) . Don't release until they are soft and not pulling against your reins. The ear closest to you should flick towards you, saying "my attention is on you." Release when this happens, and I usually do a couple times both ways and call it good.

You can also work on just lots of bending exercises. Trot around barrels, do serpentines through some poles, tight circles, etc...Do it all at a trot, or work up to a lope to give him more of a work out :) The more you ride, the better and more in-shape he'll get.