The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse eating puddles & evil shadows. **videos* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-eating-puddles-evil-shadows-%2A%2Avideos%2A-24602/)

free_sprtd 03-19-2009 07:06 PM

Horse eating puddles & evil shadows. **videos*

I would really appreciate some advice on how to get over the "im scared of every little thing out side" thing. It's not like he's super scared, but just alert and everything is new. He's controlling better outside, and because he's really good in the arena. I have really not worked him outside much, if at all, so that's obviously part of. I know what I did when trying to get him over the horse swallowing TARP, and now he plays with it everytime I bring it out. I was told I just need to work him more outside and eventually he'll move past it. I was also told circling is a good tool to use. Anywho, here's some video of his second time being ridden outside. there were times when I had more contact, but for the most part we had a looser rein it's just hard to tell/

and here's that dang puddle

bgood400 03-19-2009 07:20 PM

It may help to take a feed bag with a little feed in the bottom and duck tape the top and leave the air in it. Use this to rub all over his body. you can hit it on him and shake it to make noise. I would start at the legs and start working throughout the rest of the body. If the horse becames scared I would go back to the legs. This can help bombproof your horse and get the horse to have more trust for you. i have gotten to the point where I can hit my horse with the bag when I'm on his back and shake it over his head. It is completly harmless, the noises and looks of it can be scarey to horses at first though.

free_sprtd 03-19-2009 07:35 PM

Thanks for the tip! Ya I have done a ton of bombproofing, at least what I can in the arena.... I can carry polls and stuff on his back, he can have a plastic bag in his halter and be fine, loud noises, tarp, plastic bottles, trees, throwing things in his direction.

RedHawk 03-19-2009 10:20 PM

Your boy sounds like mine, he won't so much as step in a puddle, which presents problems when we have to go through water jumps on our cross-country courses *sigh*
I've found that, if he jumps of flinches at nothing, just ignore it, but if he shies at something in particular, walk him up to it and let him have a good look, take it one step at a time if necessary, and it often is haha, and praise him and give him a break after every step forward.
Once my horse has relaxed a bit, and is convinced that the stick/rock/piece of grass is no longer going to eat him, then we can proceed on. Now, if he spots something scary, he's actually starting walk up to it himself. The other day he spotted a plastic bag (horror!) on the trail, paused (me thinking "uh oh!"), but then walks up, sniffs, goes "yeah, whatever" and kept walking. :D

free_sprtd 03-19-2009 10:40 PM

thanks so much Ill use that tip! I forget sometimes that I need to be more patient.

Also if many of you don't know, he just turned 3 and was recently started under saddle at the end of january.

smrobs 03-19-2009 10:52 PM

I just cannot get over how much he travels like Dobe. I think the biggest problem is that he is young and being a mustang doesn't help. They tend to have a heightened fight or flight reflex that can really cause some problems. I think that the best thing you can do is just ride him alot and expose him to everything. Bombproofing will help alot as far as him not being scared of things that you do but when you get on his back and he can no longer see you and get comfort from you, then he gets nervous. Those things will work themselves out in time with experience. As for the puddle thing, many times it is easier if you ask them to walk through water that they cannot just walk around like a creek or a large pond. Many times, if they see that it is small and they can just walk around it, that is what they will do. It is nearly impossible to get a young horse to walk through such a small area if he doesn't want to. If he spooks at something, yes circles or a one rein stop are the best things. If he freezes and "flattens out" (spreads out all four legs wide), just let him sit and look at whatever he is spooking at. It may take a few minutes but he will probably either start to move away or relax. I have found that the best thing to do is circle when he moves away and move toward the boogeyman if he relaxes. You are doing a great job. Just keep up the good work and he will figure things out. I still want to steal him. He is a beauty.

cowgirlfitzy 03-19-2009 10:52 PM

Yea what everyone else said is great advice. You could also add a little work maybe before so he isn't so fresh. Not really lounging or running the crap out of him or anything like that. I like Clinton Anderson technique. He just spends a couple minutes making sure the horse is paying attention to you. He does like lots of changes of direction to "get his mind". I don't know that might help a little of he starts out thinking in the right direction ya know.

free_sprtd 03-19-2009 11:31 PM

Thanks guys!!'

And SMRobs, does he look a little better?? I mean he's a bit more relaxed in the bit and his turns are getting much more bendy. AWWW well, if you're ever out my direction, im sure he would love some company!! hehe thanks :)

NorthernMama 03-20-2009 08:47 PM

Also, to help with the puddles, try riding with a buddy. Find or make a puddle on a pathway that means the ONLY way through is through the puddle. The buddy goes first and then you follow. My girl was soooo not into water until I did a threesome ride with her and she waded through chest deep unknowns!

free_sprtd 03-20-2009 09:39 PM

oh it's funny what they will do for "the herd" huh? lol