The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Paintaloosa? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/paintaloosa-246130/)

KigerQueen 08-01-2013 07:15 PM

Paintaloosa?

This is a friend's horse. I was thinking paintaloosa. You guys think I'm right?

SlideStop 08-01-2013 07:43 PM

The video is small on my phone, but the color looks more like dappling to me. Anyway, if he is a cross between a paint and an appy he is a grade horse. It gets under my skin when people put cutesy names on mutts to somehow make them more appealing.
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 08-01-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3230474)
The video is small on my phone, but the color looks more like dappling to me. Anyway, if he is a cross between a paint and an appy he is a grade horse. It gets under my skin when people put cutesy names on mutts to somehow make them more appealing.
Posted via Mobile Device

The cutesy mutts of yesterday are the purebreds of today. (Take Quarter Horses for example......go back maybe what, 50 years, and what do you find....all sorts of cutesy mutts). I like to judge each horse on face value, not on whether or not it has a set of papers. There are plenty of purebreds that aren't worth a darn. And grade horses that are gorgeous. And all sorts of horses in-between.

Back on topic, while the video is small, it does look like a pintaloosa to me. It looks like a varnish roan with tobiano spots.

KigerQueen 08-01-2013 08:08 PM

Its hard to see but the are spots, not roaning or dappling. lets see if this helps http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/12/31/55/34/s1320011.jpg
http://i33.servimg.com/u/f33/12/31/55/34/s1320012.jpg

DuckDodgers 08-01-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3230474)
Posted via Mobile Device

It also irritates me when people try to give cutesy names to crosses (especially in dogs for me), but I'm failing to see why it's an issue if it's just describing a color pattern? I guess it COULD be describing the breed too, but the markings seem to be what's relevant in this situation.

KigerQueen 08-01-2013 08:13 PM

Also did not know it would offend people to call him a Paintaloosa. I thought it would be called that just like an Anglo, Morab and Appendix.

ReubenJCogburn 08-01-2013 08:14 PM

No clue, but I love his markings. My stallion was a paint with white legs like that... I've always found it so striking.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 08-01-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckDodgers (Post 3230794)
It also irritates me when people try to give cutesy names to crosses (especially in dogs for me), but I'm failing to see why it's an issue if it's just describing a color pattern? I guess it COULD be describing the breed too, but the markings seem to be what's relevant in this situation.

I think she was using it to describe with horses "breed" since it's in the breed section, not the color section. It's not that I'm irritated with the OP, just with the fad in general. I probably should of made that more of a side note on my post. It certainly doesn't take papers (or color) to make a good horse, I totally agree there! A good horse is a good horse. They'd be just as good if you called him a grade stock horse or a "paintaloosa". It just seems demeaning to me for some reason.

KigerQueen 08-01-2013 08:38 PM

lol understood. I thought it was considering SOOO many people have found ways to paper the crosses. My friend had a papered Morab, and I know Appendixes have/had a registration.

DuckDodgers 08-01-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 3230954)
I think she was using it to describe with horses "breed" since it's in the breed section, not the color section. It's not that I'm irritated with the OP, just with the fad in general. I probably should of made that more of a side note on my post. It certainly doesn't take papers (or color) to make a good horse, I totally agree there! A good horse is a good horse. They'd be just as good if you called him a grade stock horse or a "paintaloosa". It just seems demeaning to me for some reason.

Ahh, I didn't even notice that it was in breeds and not colors! I totally get your point though!