The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Skinny Thoroughbred (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/skinny-thoroughbred-246226/)

CosmicHorse95 08-01-2013 09:22 PM

Skinny Thoroughbred

Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum, but really need some help.

I have a 9 year old Thoroughbred gelding; I've had him for over two years. I do not think he is off track, but he does have a lip tattoo.
He is rather thin. I mean, he has weight in his belly, and his hindquarters and shoulders are muscled, but he is very 'ribby' and his spine jutts out of his back (not horrible horrible, but enough to give a wedgie when bareback)
His teeth shouldn't be an issue, and he is on a regular worming schedule. His current diet is a mix of Purina Strategy and oats/molasses, and I just got some aloe vera juice for him to treat any ulcers that he may or may not (but probably does) have. He also gets very good hay, and is on pasture, but the pasture is very pathetic.
He is doesn't have any health issues, but I really want to get more weight on him. I know part of it will be exercising him more to build muscle on his top line.

So, my question is, what exercises do you recommend, and should I alter his diet any? I am unable to give him more pasture because where we board he is not allowed in with the other horses.

tlkng1 08-01-2013 09:24 PM

If he is tattooed he is off track...you can run his tattoo with the Jockey Club to identify him.

As for weight, try this: Fix It With Feed Part 2: Feeding A Hard Keeper Is All About Extra Calories And Patience | The Chronicle of the Horse

CosmicHorse95 08-01-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 3231490)
If he is tattooed he is off track...you can run his tattoo with the Jockey Club to identify him.

As for weight, try this: Fix It With Feed Part 2: Feeding A Hard Keeper Is All About Extra Calories And Patience | The Chronicle of the Horse

I'm not able to identify him on JC. Thanks for the link!

Would still like multiple ideas!:-)

Iseul 08-01-2013 11:09 PM

Can't help you much on the spiney issue, but if you give me his tattoo, colour, and year of birth, I'll look him up for you :p

But, I suspect he may just have absolutely zero topline and he needs worked to get that..And the ribs may or may not be anything to worry about depending on if they constantly show or only sometimes when he moves a certain way.
Posted via Mobile Device

boomboom 08-02-2013 10:17 AM

The strategy is a little high in sugars then I like for a potential ulcer horse but I would for sure dump the oats/molasses. How much strategy is he getting? Does he have good access to good quality hay and is he getting enough of it?
My tb was VERY skinny coming from a bad boarding barn and just finally looks good after nearly 5 months. He is on a high fat feed (12%), along with a fat top dressing(18%) with some beet pulp, alfalfa cubes and oil. This is working very well for him..I can nearly call him fat! Along with free choice hay.
I'd also look into a pre/probiotic for him.

CosmicHorse95 08-02-2013 11:11 AM

I ended up finding him on JC...misread the tattoo, as one digit was hiding xD
However, he was never ever raced. No starts at all.

As far as how much strategy he is getting, I can't really give you a measure. I don't know what it is in pounds yet, and our scoop is broken so I've just been giving him between 6 and 8 "handfulls" of the mixture.

is there a better brand that you could recommend boomboom?
strategy was recommended to us by our farrier, and it was nice because it was a little less expensive than some other grains out there. Open to suggestions. thank you!!

boomboom 08-02-2013 11:21 AM

What brands do you have access too?

6 or 8 handfuls is definitely not enough. If you can find out weight that would be great..but it sounds like he needs more.

deserthorsewoman 08-02-2013 11:44 AM

Take your 6-8 handfuls of strategy and put it in a Ziploc bag, take it home and weigh it in the kitchen scale.
Weigh his hay portion( grab bathroom scale, weigh yourself, grab hay portion and weigh yourself with hay. His hay should come out to AT LEAST 1.5% of his bodyweight.

Im willing to bet he's simply not getting enough calories.

Offer free choice hay, best in a slowfeeder, and a low sugar hardfeed. If you have Purina available, get the Strategy Healthy Edge instead of the normal Strategy. Much lower in sugars.
Give at least the minimum recommended amount, by weight! !
Give it in several small meals. If, after a month ir so, you still don't see a difference, up the ration to max. amount or add half to one lb of ricebran.

CosmicHorse95 08-02-2013 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions you guys!!! I will definately up his amount of feed. :)

stevenson 08-02-2013 07:48 PM

up the hay to where he is leaving some. Some TB's stay on the thin side. I have one mare, and she was always thin ,Vet did some test, put her on iron supplement, used a product called fat cat , she still stayed then, had hay in front of her 24/7 . Just how she is, should have changed her name to Olive Oyl..