The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   rearing while leading? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/rearing-while-leading-246330/)

horsecrazygirl13 08-02-2013 12:02 AM

rearing while leading?

While I was leading my 2 - year - old gelding from the pasture to his drylot today, he suddenly reared. He wasnt spooked or anything and I was just calmly leading him, no pulling or jerking. It really surprised me and the leadrope slipped in my hands but I managed to hold on to the end. I was leading him in a well fitting nylon halter. He was really calm after he reared but was rushing in front of me and when I asked him to back up, he just reared again. What should I do about it. he usually NEVER rears.
Thanks.

Palomine 08-02-2013 04:22 PM

He has decided he does not have to pay attention to you more than likely.

Feeling good, wanting to get loose, or whatever, he is showing you that he needs to be walked with more control, more awareness of what he is doing.

Saddlebag 08-02-2013 05:24 PM

Aaah, he's testing you. When a horse rears I like to pull them on a 45*angle to it's body. It pulls it off balance and sometimes puts a scare into it.

LouieThePalomino 08-02-2013 05:30 PM

hes testing you and if you let him get away with it, it will get worse. I suggest you carry a lunge whip with you that has the string cut off so every time he rears you just take the whip and wiggle it back and forth by his rear legs while you are facing him. Not to hurt him and dont do it forcefully but he wont like it and will eventually stop rearing if you are consistent.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl13 08-02-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieThePalomino (Post 3239641)
hes testing you and if you let him get away with it, it will get worse. I suggest you carry a lunge whip with you that has the string cut off so every time he rears you just take the whip and wiggle it back and forth by his rear legs while you are facing him. Not to hurt him and dont do it forcefully but he wont like it and will eventually stop rearing if you are consistent.
Posted via Mobile Device

the problem is, he doesnt misbehave if he sees the whip. And I cant always carry a whip with me.

ReubenJCogburn 08-02-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horsecrazygirl13 (Post 3240041)
the problem is, he doesnt misbehave if he sees the whip. And I cant always carry a whip with me.

If you form the habit of behaving well by carrying the whip when handling (even if you don't have to use it) it will be less likely for him to form the habit if rearing while being led. My point is, I guess, that if he behaves when you carry a whip, it doesn't hurt to carry one. At this age, you are looking to form good habits and if carrying a whip maintains that, then great.

Otherwise, the 45 degree angle to bring him back down immediately could work well. Its hard to tell what correction will be too much or too little for a horse without really knowing him...

For instance, my oldenburg/arab gelding is super sensitive and a whip correction would make things worse with him (sending him into a panic). The gelding by my paint stallion was a thick headed dunderhead until he matured and he took stronger corrections (he also tested boundaries more).

Knowing more about your guy's personality/sensitivity and training history might make for a little more accurate advice... Just because I see two bits of advice in here that could be useful for the right horse, but might also be the wrong response for the wrong horse.

I hope I made some bit of sense ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

CowboyBob 08-02-2013 11:25 PM

I like the 45* pull. Also, as rearing is a forward motion issue either while riding or leading, it would be a great chance to reinforce the importance of forward motion. If you horse is good at lunging, I would do a few good circles to get his attention. This is a young horse and this kind of behavior is not unheard of so I wouldn't make a BIG deal out of it YET. A small fix now will save you a big fix later.

Foxhunter 08-03-2013 02:21 AM

I do not like the 45 angle as you are pulling the horse towards you and a horse vertical is often waving its legs to keep balance so this can be dangerous to the uninitiated.
First off, I would tell you to wear a helmet. Carry a piece of plastic water pipe pr a strong whip. It is possible to carry this at all times when leading him, you have to collect his halter when he is turned out so collect a whip at the same time and leave it with the halter.
Use a long rope and when he rears whack him really hard across the hind legs. You are attacking his only means of support and he will not like that!
Stop it before it becomes something more serious.

Phly 08-03-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhunter (Post 3243578)
I do not like the 45 angle as you are pulling the horse towards you and a horse vertical is often waving its legs to keep balance so this can be dangerous to the uninitiated.
First off, I would tell you to wear a helmet. Carry a piece of plastic water pipe pr a strong whip. It is possible to carry this at all times when leading him, you have to collect his halter when he is turned out so collect a whip at the same time and leave it with the halter.
Use a long rope and when he rears whack him really hard across the hind legs. You are attacking his only means of support and he will not like that!

Well, lets face it, it's gonna be dangerous. 45*, pipe to the hinds, or forcing over. It's not fun, not for rookies, and dangerous.
Posted via Mobile Device

ReubenJCogburn 08-03-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxhunter (Post 3243578)

I will reiterate that the level of response is very particular to the horse and his sensitivity. All methods mentioned can have merit, but the wrong one on the wrong horse will create more problems.

I agree that rearing is dangerous (especially in hand), a helmet is a very good idea, and any training method to overcome rearing will have inherent risks. Timing and method are very important and may have to be determined on the fly, so experience in training is very important.