The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Spin off-Raw food diet (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/spin-off-raw-food-diet-246513/)

wetrain17 08-02-2013 09:39 AM

Spin off-Raw food diet

I have been seriously considering switching my dog from her "kibble diet" to a raw food diet. I'm looking for any advise on 1. making the switch and 2. what exactly would be best to feed, ie type of animal, cuts of meat, what organs, etc. I figured I would start my research here to see what others would suggest.

Thanks.

Foxesdontwearbowties 08-02-2013 10:20 AM

Subbing

PastureSongs 08-03-2013 09:12 PM

I think the balance is 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ and such.
I think Chicken is a good thing to start with when you're making the switch since it can be easy on the stomach.
You can use pretty much any type of meat. If you have ranchers around or anything that kill their own stock that's a good place to go to. Get the things they can't/won't/don't use. I know someone who got an entire. calf. from a rancher because he lost it and didn't want to waste it.
Duck, rabbit (though not often because they lack fat), chicken, beef, pork, fish, sheep, hearts, livers, feet, tongue... pretty much whatever.

Here's a couple links to some info.
Feeding Raw - Where to Start? This is a thread that has LOTS of information on feeding raw
Raw Feeders: Please post typical weekly menu This is info directly from raw feeders
Raw Feeding Picture Thread and here's pictures ;D

Also, you can buy pre-made raw that is already portioned out and bagged. (BARF diet)

wetrain17 08-05-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastureSongs (Post 3249058)
I think the balance is 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ and such.
I think Chicken is a good thing to start with when you're making the switch since it can be easy on the stomach.
You can use pretty much any type of meat. If you have ranchers around or anything that kill their own stock that's a good place to go to. Get the things they can't/won't/don't use. I know someone who got an entire. calf. from a rancher because he lost it and didn't want to waste it.
Duck, rabbit (though not often because they lack fat), chicken, beef, pork, fish, sheep, hearts, livers, feet, tongue... pretty much whatever.

Here's a couple links to some info.
Feeding Raw - Where to Start? This is a thread that has LOTS of information on feeding raw
Raw Feeders: Please post typical weekly menu This is info directly from raw feeders
Raw Feeding Picture Thread and here's pictures ;D

Also, you can buy pre-made raw that is already portioned out and bagged. (BARF diet)

Thanks for the information. It will be most helpful.

skycon 08-14-2013 10:43 AM

Very good site:
Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition - Prey Model Raw Feeding for Dogs & Cats